I fucking hate conversions

Mah homie who crashed the other day went out and bought a fairly good conditioned Panasonic road frame, mid 80s. I’ve been trying to convince him, to no avail, to not fuck up an already nice bike. And besides, tarck bikes are awesome and conversions are gheyer than IRO-KID.

As long as he doesn’t grind shit off of the frame and powdercoat it purple I would be ok with it.

Unless he bought it complete, and was taking all the good stuff off, that would be slightly frustrating.

Hey man, don’t be so down on conversions, theyre not all bad.

I love conversions, as long as they’re sensible and practical bikes. Conversions that are pseudo-track bikes are the fucking worst.

I’m about to make a NOS Schwinn Paramount PDG into a conversion. I’ll be ordering the wheel tomorrow.

The worst conversions are the those made out of current high end carbon/aluminum roadbikes.

Conversions breath new life into old bikes for cheap. Love em.

A conversion got me off the trails and on the road.

These are all good points. And, in theory, I agree. But when I see somebody on a conversion I still get mad. Ionno why. Tarck bikes are cool, road bikes are cool… I just don’t understand why someone would get one to have the other.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Conversions breath new life into old bikes for cheap. Love em.

A conversion got me off the trails and on the road.[/quote]

Agreed.

I loved seeing my project go from a turd to a polished turd.

We don’t all ride on the track? Wait do you ride your track bike on the track?

If not, why do you have a track bike.

I ride a conversion because I want road geometry with a fixed drivetrain. I don’t ride track, I want brakes and want fixed.

Also we all don’t have the cash to blow on a track frame when you can get a old road frame for almost nothing sometimes.

How do you feel about fixed mountain bikes? I wouldn’t suggest hating on them as they are all insane lumberjacks who eat rocks for breakfast and ride bikes better then any of us on this board combined will ever know.

Some conversions are cool. All I know is that I hated mine and most everyone elses. Everybody should either be riding a Pista Concept or drive a car.

Everyone should be driving a car with a Pista Concept on the rack on the way to meet their friends at some parking lot for a hella sick freestyle sesh! Yeah, bitches, bugga-BONG!!!

Charging my fisheye camera right now.

Charging my fisheye camera right now.[/quote]

Word.

I’ll go pick up some extra batteries for the boombox.

Exactly. There’s nothing inherent in a road frame that says it can’t also run fixed. I don’t understand the narrow-minded view that bikes should either be one way or another. Didn’t Sheldon teach us anything?

WWSD?

quoted for truth. road conversion track/tarck bike imitations are newbie-ish, gaudy, ugly, and the epitome of turd polishing*.

*there’s exceptions to this rule, but those exceptions are usually best left intact with gears, brakes, etc.

So to sum up, sensible road conversions are 100% legit and (as Sheldon said) in the end they’re probably better than true tarck frames for the majority of what most of us do; and pseudo tarck conversions are gross and lame especially when a hacksaw is brought into the mix. Let’s never bring this up again.

Mander’s back! Hooray! I missed your neck tattoos and raunchy seat angle!
This is a happy day for me!

Mander’s back! Hooray! I missed your neck tattoos and raunchy seat angle!
This is a happy day for me!

I remember that thread from BF about the track bike inspired road bikes. There was some super slick ones from Tokyo or something on there.