I fucking hate conversions

I’m totally down with that, but the “newb tarck wanna-bees” turning nice old road frames into trendy conversions is what bugs. I think of “conversions” as different than fixed-gear bikes. Conversion just implies trying too hard or something.

We don’t all ride on the track? Wait do you ride your track bike on the track?

If not, why do you have a track bike.

I ride a conversion because I want road geometry with a fixed drivetrain. I don’t ride track, I want brakes and want fixed.

Also we all don’t have the cash to blow on a track frame when you can get a old road frame for almost nothing sometimes.

How do you feel about fixed mountain bikes? I wouldn’t suggest hating on them as they are all insane lumberjacks who eat rocks for breakfast and ride bikes better then any of us on this board combined will ever know.[/quote]

haha thanks for the sweet love, Piton.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Conversions breath new life into old bikes for cheap. Love em.

A conversion got me off the trails and on the road.[/quote]

Yes yes yes.

If it weren’t for my conversion, I’d still be riding my single speed mountain bike to the coffeeshop. Not to mention the fact that I’m not a huge fan of track geometry or track dropouts. Give me a good old higher end road frame and I’ll be happy.

Then you don’t understand the meaning of the word “conversion.”

You deserve a medal for most dynamic opinion of the day because the above post is a fare bit different than your original. Back pedal much?

I like conversions that are driven by function, not image. I’m with Nitro on this one though. I wanted a fixed gear with brakes that would get me to work and back in varying weather conditions. Neither a track bike or stock road bike fit the bill.

I also ride a conversion with brakes. I agree with the driven by function statement, but I’m not going to hate on somebody who likes to make their bike look good… Maybe I miss understood the use of the word ‘image’?

Suck my Schwinn, you tit!

It ain’t pretty, but it geds the job done!
The crankarms don’t match…hehe

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]Suck my Schwinn, you tit!

It ain’t pretty, but it geds the job done!
The crankarms don’t match…hehe[/quote]

Actually, it is pretty

Trust me, it looks alot better in the photo than in real life.

i hate the shit out of some conversions, especially the one i ride. in a moment of retardedness i cut off the derailer hanger because i was sick of looking at it and have regretted it ever since. not that i would ever use it, i just realized straight away that my bike was now a wannabe tarck bike. i am glad i cut of those fucking downtube shifter mounts though, those things can dig into your knees like…fuckers.

I ride a conversion, for a couple reasons.

a) found an old raliegh super grand prix in the garbage, not a great bike, and i singlespeeded it up(because my street bike is also singlespeed)

b) a combination of already had in the garage+donated parts yeilded a fixed gear conversion with 700c wheels and a narrow flatbar. the only part ive baught for it so far is a tire, cause i skidded through the first one. i filed off the braze ons cause they caught my pants when i skid and made holes (my pants dont need air conditioning).

so my bike cost me nothing, and i just use it for getting places and general jackassery(skids, trackstands, and whatnot). So get angry if you want cause i ride a conversion…but im not going to ruin a nice track frame doing stupid things on it, besides the fact that i dont have cash to shell out on that stuff. My bike was free and i like the way it rides, and im sure theres about 100,000 other people in the same situation as me.

if i had money to piss away though, then yeah id just do what im doing now on nice track frames, and not care when things break.

Yeah, I rescued that schwinn from a big pile of trash.
Total build cost including grease and green testors paint for the lugs: $47.

Exactly. There’s nothing inherent in a road frame that says it can’t also run fixed. I don’t understand the narrow-minded view that bikes should either be one way or another. Didn’t Sheldon teach us anything?[/quote]

no way bonechilling just said that.

ehem. risers?

I like conversions if the bike is low-end, not rare, and saved from the trash.

I dig townie-style conversions and pretty much anything with fat tires.

I constantly think about converting my Paramount as it sits unridden the majority of the time.

sometimes i pull up next to a guy on a conversion, and i shake both fists at him and say “SIR, YOUR CHOICE IN BICYCLES MAKES ME SOOOOOOOOOOO MMMMAAAAADDDDDD!”

It’s only cool if you can shake both fists at him when you’re no-hands track standing!

I posted this elsewhere, but I’ll post it here to as an example of ugly tarck posiness

And he painted the fucking headset to cement his absoloute failure!!!
This thing makes me a little sad and a little angry.

But the flag in the spokes shows he’s a true patriot, so he’s cool in my book.