I went for a ride today and here are some photos

I rode out to the suburbs to get an mri. I saw a bunch of cute mid century ranch houses and some horrible McMansions and one TAF Victorian.

I was pleasantly surprised by the presence of a bike rack!

RIP Gulliver’s.

22 Likes

my dude really out there riding his bike to the MRI. you’re a gem, rudy

how far was the ride?

5 Likes

Like seven miles each way. It was absolutely the right decision. I’d have been depressed if I had driven, but the ride was a fun adventure into old fashioned suburbia.

15 Likes

Rode a hilly 46 miles into a head wind yesterday and the only pic I took was of this grandpa cactus at the exotic plant store we stopped at to warm up

12 Likes

OTTS!

i cant believe everything is still inside!!

have you been to marie’s pizza near me? different than gullivers but also the same. good for if youre looking for a locals only tavern style joint that is committed to its 1960s renovations

RIP Gullivers RIP Burt Katz

1 Like

Actually my first time there!

Lunchtime FTP test today. 650 metres in 30 mins. Cracker day for it.

16 Likes

Hambike posse 17 strong.

Sno Park > closed highway> singletrack(sorry no pics) > closed FS road/snow machine tracks > trail around a lake.

19 Likes

ahh that looks like heaven.

1 Like

I’ve been doing lunchtime rides every Thursday with some workmates and has been a bit of a hammer session at times. For the first time today we got a lady along and it was great. We are marking it in our calendars as mental health and I have two more of the fairer sex signed up for next week already. It’s a bit of a bugger that it’s 480 metres climbing but it’s a good workout. It rained last night which made the DH hell slippy damn it. The others loved it. Ha ha.

14 Likes

and from the other day:

From the other other day:

20 Likes

Big group ride up Mount Diablo yesterday, crossing the fourth and final big bay area peak off my list for the year

Beard’s getting maybe too big

Good collection of bikes in the group today. I regret not taking any pictures of the other group on the mountain - there was a group of perhaps 25 fixie riders(!) tackling Diablo. They were pulling into the ranger station in the middle as we were departing, and were straggling up to the summit as we were descending. A ton of them were brakeless, gaddamn. One of the drivers at the top told us that someone had tried to skitch on his car.

Ended up out well after dark, too much lollygagging during the day. But this is why we have dynamos…

Night MTB down through Chabot to avoid some shitty high-traffic streets

We got to this sign around 6:30, and guess what…

…locked in. Cops showed up to let us out after ~10 minutes.

Vincent missed me

I only realized about halfway through this ride that it was the biggest ride of the year in terms of both distance and elevation - 76 miles and 7000+ft. I was full-body tired and completely useless at work today.

28 Likes

Whoa, that’s a big damn ride.

yeah, and some wild riding to get back into town.

when I was living in the east bay, I’d take BART out to Pleasant Hill. from the station to the top of the mountain was like 14.999 miles.

Also brakeless fixed down Diablo sounds really unpleasant. 7% average grade, but with a lot of 10% stretches.

2 Likes

about halfway down North Gate Rd from the ranger station, i passed a guy (with solid mag spoked wheels!) crouched with one foot on the top tube and the other on the rear tire. He was going real slow (which is good because that pavement ain’t smooth and getting bucked off the bike in that stance would be far too easy), but man, i can’t imagine holding that pose for a twisty 10 mile descent.

There was one guy with a wald basket on his fixie, which I appreciated. It was also interesting to see that modern fixie fashion appears to be cartoonishly wide flat bars? It seemed like almost all of them were riding 840mm MTB bars or something silly like that.

4 Likes

I’m tellin you guys, 2023 is the Year of the Fixie.

1 Like

One of my more hip co-workers rides this. Yes that’s a Mash frame. He appears to have an absurd amount of fun on it.

6 Likes

Dropper on a fixie seems like bad news.

1 Like

I’m into it!