I went for a ride today and here are some photos

found the blue sky today.

also a huge pile of oyster shells.

14 Likes

first group ride since i’ve been in ATL. OG’s are fast

24 Likes

16 Likes

whoa what’s going on with that? - that’ s roughly the location of one of the notable Ohlone shellmounds

2 Likes

it’s at the Nike missile site in the presidio where they are doing a ton of construction. there was some native graffiti and stuff around there so that would make sense

This looks really fun

2 Likes

If you roam around coastal Maine, there’s shell piles like that all over the place, particularly behind oyster shacks

not an oyster taxonomist, but those shells look pretty darn big for the native bay area oyster, Ostrea conchaphila. Probaby from the introduced virginica and thus from a restaurant or whatever

1 Like

Rented ham for Mrs.thefly. The fatbike/snowshoer track I wanted to take wasn’t quite firm enough, so we rode the closed roads instead. Was actually very pleasant to ride side by side and chat.

Up the road some miles is a lodge at a lake where you can rent cabins. Ski/bike/sled in, or get shuttled:

(The road is otherwise closed to private cars).

25 Likes

I’m so jealous. That looks amazing.

95d2be847f91b880f4db08f3c5b4d06d36314098_2_375x500

mud flats done froze

24 Likes

Holy shit that’s sick

21 Likes

Went peak bagging in the San Gabriels, tagged Mt Wilson from the Toll rd. and Mt Lukens. Closed out my buddy’s LA riding for the year.

20 Likes

With my Jones back in New York I am again finding that it is the perfect bike for messing around on illegal trails inside the large city parks, including my favorite, Prospect Park.

Literally do not have the urge to do that on any other bike. Not sure the XC I want to replace it with would be as fun. It is the dang bars and seating position and stability of the truss fork and 3x gearing and rigid simplicity.

15 Likes

I know there’s a dark timeline were I buy a Jones and fall in love with it. I fear this timeline.

looks like a fun bike-- ya ever considered the very expensive ABS fenders?

3 Likes

Yes

I actually also have a giant mtb style mud flap for it that I’ve been meaning to put on. But hopefully someone will buy it before I start spending money on it again. I don’t see myself riding it in inclement weather, but maybe mud.

1 Like

14 Likes

Festive 500 day 1:

Festive 500 day 2:

14 Likes

I realized a few weeks back that I haven’t done any of the roads on the coastal side of Skyline Ridge on the SF Peninsula in 2022, and it’s going to rain for the rest of the week, so I did a Christmas Day Coastal Classic: Climb up Page Mill to Skyline, over the top and down West Alpine, up and over Haskins Hill (the Jobst turn is descending towards the coast from the top of Haskins) and take Pescadero Creek Rd all the way to Pescadero, the full length of Stage Rd heading north, and then up Tunitas back to Skyline and Kings Mtn down towards the bay.

Doing my second longest ride of the year (in terms of both miles and feet) on one of the shortest days of the year necessitated getting out before sunrise. bleehhhhhhh. Grabbed the first Caltrain of the day to get closer to the start point.

halfway up Page Mill

Some combination of not enough sleep/not enough breakfast/zero morning caffeine meant I was nearly literally falling asleep on my bike coming in to Pescadero around the halfway point of the ride. I know I need to cut back on caffeine, but maybe going cold turkey was a mistake? Felt like my head was caving in on itself. Of course everything was closed on Christmas Day, duh - including the coffee shop that I had been dreaming of for nearly an hour. The gas station attached to a taco shop was still open though, even if the taco shop wasn’t, so I bought some garbage gas station snacks and some sort of mexican pastries. I felt a lot better with a stomach full of carbs and caffeine.

Top of the first of three peaks on Stage Rd, and my first glimpse of the Pacific:

I ran into Bill Bushnell out at San Gregorio on his faired electric recumbent, with a badly slashed tire. Unfortunately I didn’t have a tire boot any bigger than the ones that he had. He was talking about returning to Sunnyvale via Santa Cruz??? He’s been at this decades longer than I have so I generally trust that he knows what he’s doing but it seems like there are ways to limp home that would be a lot shorter.

fence covered in fish heads across from the San Gregorio General Store is still there.

The bike hut! I grabbed a bag of yogurt pretzels and took a nap in the sun before tackling the Tunitas climb. At least six separate cyclists blew by while I was dozing on one of the lounge chairs outside, no idea what’s wrong with them. Why wouldn’t you stop for a break at the weird little fairytale hut???

Tunitas was super pretty as always but goddamn is the middle section steep.

Made it down Kings Mtn Rd without dying, caught the train in Palo Alto, made it home just after sunset, made a pot of mac & cheese after showering but was too tired to finish it. Ended up napping from 6:30ish to 8ish which I’m sure is going to destroy my sleep schedule for the rest of the year. Planning on being a slug for the next week until going back to work on the 3rd.

Merry Tarckmas everyone!

29 Likes