I went for a ride today and here are some photos

Nice! Sadly, will be out of town that weekend :confused:

Oakland hills yesterday. Mixed terrain, lots of trails and such were closed, but I poached a few anyway.

Clear view at the beginning.

Oh… That’s why it’s closed. Had to hike-a-bike through that.

Saw lots of this kind of thing:

Hit up the pump track near the end:

I took the bike on the pump track, some fun was had. Hadn’t been there in a while and it’s way better now. Last time I was there, there was a little track that was timed poorly (too short, for bmx maybe?) and no good jumps. This time, it’s way more well-developed. There’s one section with two berms facing each other in which one can easily learn the rhythm and get dizzy in the process. I need to get back up there with a proper bike.

9 Likes

I have a loose commitment to drive down for the march edition, if you want to add any of the bay area airports I could collect you/carpool to ell-ayyyee

I am so fuckin excited to get out there and do these :tarckbear:

2 Likes

This was my first and oh man was it awesome. Exactly the kind of adventure riding I love

4 Likes

Wait. Does that mean you’re also around LA, or are you coming in from out of town?

Spouse is there now in med school and I’m moving out to join her in the summer after I graduate!

1 Like

oh right! I think you’d mentioned that previously. Give me a shout next time you’re out here if you want to go for a rip

1 Like

Left the coast to escape rain. It was muddy and snowy.

17 Likes

Is that The Dalles?

1 Like

Yup. OMTM Japanese Hollow route or close to it.

1 Like

Went for a real fun ride today. Not totally legal, was once but part of it now in private hands. Started in town, hit the singletrack, heard a Tieke in the bush. Stopped and pulled out my phone to play back a pre-recorded call. Sure enough he came right up to us. Very cool. Rode down through Long Gulley and back along the coast. Wind is up, but hey, it’s Wellington.

14 Likes

Riding with my brosef

22 Likes

I finally got the H-G frame from @karl_dandleton put together and out for its maiden voyage.

I’ve got it set up with studded tires for winter dirt roads. I’ll switch over to 584-48 and fenders once mud season starts.

24 Likes

Cute highland coo. The most emo of cows.

7 Likes

i miss that bike. thanks, my day is ruined.

looks good tho! you win the race- @Jacobell still has most of the components i need to build it up because i keep not asking him to ship

3 Likes

I think about that every single day. It’ll all be in a box soon!

Riding wIth bruhv today

23 Likes

The bike is great!

I did about 25 miles around town this afternoon, aiming for frozen dirt roads and spots where I’ve been wishing I had a camera when I was running or riding my road bike. A bike with studded tires, a camera, and a thermos of tea helped encourage me to take it easy and explore.

5 Likes

The track was nicely packed from edge to edge, so I could zone out and look at the trees more than usual. On the (mellow) descending portion I dropped the post and could actually use the snow berms! It was super fun.

Edit: PS this is designated snowshoe/bike route, some skiers also use it as a fun loop to take dogs on (also OK for this specific area). So no worries about me obliterating tracks or anything.

9 Likes