I went for a ride today and here are some photos

IDK, my house is a ranch with a normal ranch roof. But it’s a 70’s house, and stucco so not exactly the norm around here.

At least it seems like a normal ranchish roof to me?

8 Likes

I just rode through a vast suburb full of 70s ranch houses and can confirm that yours is pretty normal. They tend to be a little flatter here but I chalk that up to local prairie school influence.
I didn’t take any pictures of ranch houses but I did make a special stop to check out this beautiful sewage pumping plant.

9 Likes

is that the one on Howard&Mccormick?

It is. It’s quite an impressive structure. They sure don’t build sewage plants that look like this anymore. I was on my way to Skokie.
I wonder what this tower is for:

2 Likes

I pass this place everyday. Beautiful building. Smell doesnt even bother me anymore. I know a dude who worked there; said it was kinda shitty.

They have free mulch in a driveway on the Howard side of the building if you are into that. But what really threw me off as I was headed further west along their massive property…GOATS! Like a dozen of them in the brush chillin behind the fence. It’s so overgrown that they bring them in to try and control it.

Fun/really boring fact: I lived in Skokie for 18ish years.

3 Likes

So you rode through a few cities over a few miles? Even if just two. Imagine a right turn into Evanston?! That is like 3 cities real close together.

half a tarck century can land you in Chicago, Evanston, Linconwood, and Skokie.

Don’t tell Rudy, he doesn’t think cities work like that.

1 Like

Is Skokie a city? I guess it is. My only real experience of the place is the big hospital on Grosse Point Road.
I guess I consider the close in suburbs to be more a part of Chicago than discrete cities of their own but clearly I’m wrong.

If it has a big hospital it is a city.

It’s a really nice hospital.
There’s a player piano in the lobby.

to defend your perspective here a bit, in my experience the salt lake suburbs are discrete because of geography while our “inner-ring suburbs” are just chicago neighborhoods with their own school systems (but share our public transit!). Cook County as an overarching government keeps a cohesion among the townships that really makes it feel much more like a city in a way other cities and suburbs don’t

anyways I also ride by the waste management site a lot but nearly always heading north on the trail on my Tarck century route that takes me up to the baha’i temple

1 Like

Salt Lake and it’s burbs are all in one big valley. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that Chicago is a much older and mature city. Salt Lake’s burbs only grew directly adjacent to each other relatively recently and lots of folks remember them as separate. At least that’s what’s happening here.

Yeah, it’s one big bowl and everything has just expanded to fit, as much as it can geographically. They’re cities really only in that they have their own separate city government. For the most part, you’d really never know when you leave one and enter another. Except maybe if you leave SLC proper and into South Salt Lake because the bike lane probably ends abruptly and turns into drive-thru after drive-thru, or car dealerships.

1 Like

Took the day off and headed to the slightly rural areas to the north of Sydney. Perfect day.

13 Likes

What is your handlebar?

1 Like

Cowbell

1 Like

Ah, yes, the Chicago poop factory.

Not a Cowchipper? Flare looks more than 12 degrees?

1 Like