I went for a ride today and here are some photos

I can’t see which image you’re referencing and there’s 3 pictures with roads in them

1. Venice Blvd is also Hwy 138 - Grand View Blvd runs N-S and the first photo shows the opening to what was once Ocean Park Heights, an early gated suburb community.

2. Pretty primitive traffic calming just south of Melrose and Santa Monica Blvd. There’s a traffic circle a block south.

3. SR110 is a treasure, don’t talk shit

last concrete fwy looking one

also fuck tony fuckin abbott

2 Likes

it’s a very nice drive!

Got two rides yesterday

Been going to the one street in the park that’s closed to cars nearly everyday

And got an hour to myself and went up a nice little hillock behind the VA I hadn’t been up before

12 Likes

Trailheads are closed to parking, but trails themselves are not closed. We rode from home out to some mild singletrack and found a spot in the woods for a picnic. Got lots of smiles and waves from other mtbikers.

15 Likes

Rode the last of the glass down to the recycling bin and sat in the park for a few minutes.

Katu is my viral apocalypse bike of choice.

7 Likes

beautiful

Yesterday I took my folding saw to the park in the middle of BK and did some minor trail adjustment.

like taking just a bit off the top here to make a little steep section rideable

Also scouted some new lines off one of the hills in the park. I rode the below line into this pit from an uprooted tree, which drops you into an already existing trail right at a bermed turn.

No majestic mountains but at least it is a 15 minute ride from my apartment.

Man my derper is all the way down in all of these photos. Gosh I wish it went lower.

11 Likes

what park dis?

Prospect :shushing_face:

1 Like

cruisey trails?

pic angles make it look like cunningham

1 Like

Like… was it impossible to ride or impossible for you? I know it drives me crazy when someone does “trail maintenance” on something I’ve been working to clean.

3 Likes

All the easily accessible trails at my favorite MTB park here have been sanitized to the point of sucking. Fortunately some of the neglected trails in the back are getting harder every year due to erosion.
I just do not understand how features I’ve been riding for many years on an xc hardtail are somehow too hard to ride on an FS or fat bike.

1 Like

because apparently you have bike handling skills.

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to dumb down a trail. As far as I know, people weren’t riding it. Never seen tracks there and I’ve been scoping it out for months. It is a desire path made by walkers.

1 Like

when this happens here, people blame shitty riders, when in reality - the riders have nothing to do with it. its usually park maintenance people from whatever branch of government who runs the trail area who decide what to fix up and they typically think smooth easy paths look great and “well maintained”.

in contrast, this is also how most new trails look and it takes years of natural water erosion to make them technical. then when they get too eroded (here usually means the trail turns into a river whenever it rains) and they reroute, people bitch about “dumbing down the trails” when the reroute looks exactly like the original did before years of erosion.

1 Like

There are no park maintenance people here, it’s all volunteers. The volunteer group (of which I’m a part) is not a fan of the dumbing down! They try to keep the trails from eroding into nothing, but they also make sure that blue trails stay blue, etc. It’s the riders themselves who are moving things and making cheater lines.

1 Like

I guess you should come here and see what happens when Boulder mountain bike alliance and the local rangers team up. They 100% adhere to really dumb guidelines, like a max drop off 18 inches on a black trail. If anything is more than that, they have to “fix” it.

That sounds awful

dryer rd? yeah it’s legitimately incredible how the trails just keep getting wider and less rooty, so much less technique required now

1 Like

West World gets tougher every year though! I haven’t been able to clean the uphill yet this year.

1 Like