I went for a ride today, here are some pictures (old)

After hearing about Camp Tamarancho since moving to the Bay Area I thought I would check it out. All in all, I wasn’t disappointed. The trail feels a lot like I always imagined mountain biking in Marin would be. Relatively technical single track, lots of climbing or descending with old growth redwood trees thrown in for good measure. The only downside is the trail can be ridden at a moderate pace in about 75 minutes or at a fast pace in sub 60. Most quick riders ride the loop in both directions to make it worthwhile. Including the ride to and from my house it was 12 miles and 16-1700’ of climbing. I think I can access the trail network from the fire roads behind my house which means I could make a 15-50+ mile loop with anywhere from 2500-10k+ climbing.

After climbing a 1.5 mile road then roughly 2 miles of single track you are dumped onto the side of a ridge with good views of Mt Tam

Further along the ridge

Riding in the trees along the “B-17” section of the trail

Taking a quick break to have a snack

SO JELLY RIGHT NOW :<

I really love these type of threads.

The weather has been near perfect (averaged 68*) and even though I indulged rather heavily last night and woke up slightly hung over, I wanted to get out for a bit. Ended up riding to Skyline Gate and back down. Was able to match my PR for the ride, which I was surprised at.

All I have are these Instagram photos, sorry.

i went skiing today. it was warm and snowy ~30F.

Gonna hit Dark Mountain and Overmountain Victory in the morning. Will take picz, maybe.

triple tarck century on the track bike. no pics, some flurries.

[quote=Mr. Bear]After hearing about Camp Tamarancho since moving to the Bay Area I thought I would check it out. All in all, I wasn’t disappointed. The trail feels a lot like I always imagined mountain biking in Marin would be. Relatively technical single track, lots of climbing or descending with old growth redwood trees thrown in for good measure. The only downside is the trail can be ridden at a moderate pace in about 75 minutes or at a fast pace in sub 60. Most quick riders ride the loop in both directions to make it worthwhile. Including the ride to and from my house it was 12 miles and 16-1700’ of climbing. I think I can access the trail network from the fire roads behind my house which means I could make a 15-50+ mile loop with anywhere from 2500-10k+ climbing.

After climbing a 1.5 mile road then roughly 2 miles of single track you are dumped onto the side of a ridge with good views of Mt Tam

Further along the ridge

Riding in the trees along the “B-17” section of the trail

Taking a quick break to have a snack

[/quote]
TC: Never ridden in Tamarancho b/c my Santa Cruz friends told me it was boring. Now that I think about it, though, they don’t like to climb and I do. I think I’m going to ride there on Thursday.

looks fun enough to me. you west coasters have it so good in terms of mtb trails.

i wish i lived somewhere with more interesting topography.

I rode to the art museum today. It was dark, windy as fuck, and mild.

[quote=deadforkinglast][quote=Mr. Bear]After hearing about Camp Tamarancho since moving to the Bay Area I thought I would check it out. All in all, I wasn’t disappointed. The trail feels a lot like I always imagined mountain biking in Marin would be. Relatively technical single track, lots of climbing or descending with old growth redwood trees thrown in for good measure. The only downside is the trail can be ridden at a moderate pace in about 75 minutes or at a fast pace in sub 60. Most quick riders ride the loop in both directions to make it worthwhile. Including the ride to and from my house it was 12 miles and 16-1700’ of climbing. I think I can access the trail network from the fire roads behind my house which means I could make a 15-50+ mile loop with anywhere from 2500-10k+ climbing.

[/quote]
TC: Never ridden in Tamarancho b/c my Santa Cruz friends told me it was boring. Now that I think about it, though, they don’t like to climb and I do. I think I’m going to ride there on Thursday.[/quote]
If you are used to Santa Cruz shuttle downhill then Tamarancho probably isn’t for you.

I was always the guy climbing back up the downhill trails. Definitely the only one of my friends down there with a front derailer. I would jus climb back out and meet them at the top. I just can’t bring myself to do the hike-a-bike thing if I can help it.

don’t do it again… peein’ in the water!

y so many tubers?

I just patched them is all.
edit: it’s also an illusion. He’s just peeing near the water. There’s an invisible cliff and computer monitor down there.

Well, it was a nice day out in central PA, with claimed temps of 40 degrees, but it still felt closer to 32 with wind/no sun. At least the air didn’t hurt the lungs any today.
View of the first climb going to attack.

Sweet, sweet water atop the second and longest climb of Black Mo.

Just a little snow still on the ground, melting a bit to make some of the descents a bit sketchy.

Can’t wait for a few good rains to wash the small gravel off the roads to aid in less sketchy descents.

Beautiful 70 degree day so I got on the mountain bike again today.

The plan was to ride to the peak in the distance by the fire road network in Marin.

After descending part of the way down Bald Hill

The climb to the top of Bald Hill from my street is 2.1 miles and 1100’ of climbing. I then descended the fire road, went around Phoenix Lake, climbed to Bon Tempe Lake, then went around Lake Lagunitas before finally starting my climb up Mt Tam.

The view from the top of Mt Tam

The descent from Tam was a 2100’ drop in a few short miles. I had a few scary moments when I came flying into a rock garden at 20+mph and barely had time to unweight my front wheel, let alone wheelie.

A Ride Report

By johnnyraja

“Today will be a beautiful day to ride around Lake Brandt,” I thought to myself upon waking. And boy, was I right. Sixty degrees and sunny, perfect weather to cirsumvrent our local reservoir system.

First I was like:

Then I was like:

Behold, the Kona A in its natural habitat: RAF (rooty as fuck) singletrack with lots of short, steep, rooty climbs and fast, rooty descents.

Just after I took this shot, I hit a tree cuz I was staring at a deer. DOE! Amirite?

About halfway through my ride I was shredding some gnar when, out of nowhere, a small child, maybe 4 or 5 years of age, stepped out from behind a tree and directly in front of me, in the middle of the trail, with his hand held up and out like he was Neo stopping a bullet. I slammed on my brakes and nearly went over the handlebars. Then the child just stared at me for about ten seconds, while I thought to myself, “your move, little champion.”

Just then his dad popped out from around the bend behind him and was all, “Max, how many times do I have to tell you not to do that!” So, apparently, this kid is a trail-impeding recidivist.

But you know, seeing that child with his innocent little hand raised, telling me to stop, made me think that maybe I should stop for a moment to ponder the magnificence of nature.

“Nature: is it really that magnificent?”

“Totally, bro!”

Having reached a conclusion, I hopped back on my bike and shredded some more gnar. Just as I was getting ready to exit the trail, a group of about a dozen or so baggy shorted types were getting on. I moved to the side to let them pass, came to a stop, but was unable to unclip in time (cuz deadlegs) and instead fell directly in their path. “Who’s the trail impeder now, eh johnnyraja,” I thought to myself wistfully.

In conclusion, it was 37.7 miles of awesome dayness today.

today i rode up in the west hills
i was thinkin to myself
“self, you are lucky you live in such an awesome place”
you shuld drink a chocolate milk to celebrate
swiss style