I went for a ride today, here are some pictures (old)

Soon, dear secret trail, soon…

…I will poach your sweet, willing curves.

[quote=username]Soon, dear secret trail, soon…

…I will poach your sweet, willing curves.[/quote]

Get me into riding with my dog. If he is already good at hiking off leash, is there much else I need to worry about?

Also, get me into that trail. Where is that thing? Middle Earth?

I sawed off my penis.

The dog is my brother’s and she has hundreds if not thousands of miles of hiking/biking experience. She just runs along. You have to stop a lot and let dogs rest if it’s a fast or long trail, of course.

The trail in those pics is about 30 or 40 miles, as the crow flies, from midtown Manhattan, In fact, from the hill tops you can see the Empire State Building sticking up like a middle finger in the distance saying, in an uncharacteristically calm and reassuring voice, “Hey you over there, suck it. I’m the muthah fuckin’ Empire State Building.”

north of manhattan? get me into riding secret trail with username?

The pictured trail is illegal but it gets a few riders a week and is best ridden very early or very late in the day as in the summer there are a lot of blueberry/mushroom pickers and hikers due to the fact that it shares with the AT for a couple of miles. The area is called the Timp and you can find a lot of maps of the area, just beware of bitchy hikers and possibly rangers/tickets.

Legally, there is plenty of other riding in the area even closer to the city. If you like the look of the TImp, check out Mt. Beacon which has a couple thousand feet of vertical including dense forest, slick rock, sustained climbs rewarded by views like those above, and ridiculous single-track over stream crossings and rock beds, banked curves on wicked downhills and some old ruins too explore/eat lunch in. I think there are about 50+ miles of single track up there. Also, the trailhead/road access is next to a small town deli and there is a good Bike shop in town. I have barely explored this area only having hit the main trails.

Mt. Beacon, Beacon, NY

But my favorite NYC area and where I ‘learned’ is Blue Mt. Reservation in Peekskill, it is small but only a 30 minute drive from the Bronx:

Blue Mtn. Reservation, Peekskill, NY

On the other side of the Hudson there is also a place called The Holy Land which is a 7,000 acre park with 12 or so miles of marked trail and another 80+ of unmarked.

I am a proponent of Lower Hudson/NYC area mountain biking.

[quote=Ashes Dust]I really love these type of threads.

The weather has been near perfect (averaged 68*) and even though I indulged rather heavily last night and woke up slightly hung over, I wanted to get out for a bit. Ended up riding to Skyline Gate and back down. Was able to match my PR for the ride, which I was surprised at.

All I have are these Instagram photos, sorry.

[/quote]
Whoa, back off the colour saturation setting, man…

[quote=username]The pictured trail is illegal but it gets a few riders a week and is best ridden very early or very late in the day as in the summer there are a lot of blueberry/mushroom pickers and hikers due to the fact that it shares with the AT for a couple of miles. The area is called the Timp and you can find a lot of maps of the area, just beware of bitchy hikers and possibly rangers/tickets.

Legally, there is plenty of other riding in the area even closer to the city. If you like the look of the TImp, check out Mt. Beacon which has a couple thousand feet of vertical including dense forest, slick rock, sustained climbs rewarded by views like those above, and ridiculous single-track over stream crossings and rock beds, banked curves on wicked downhills and some old ruins too explore/eat lunch in. I think there are about 50+ miles of single track up there. Also, the trailhead/road access is next to a small town deli and there is a good Bike shop in town. I have barely explored this area only having hit the main trails.

Mt. Beacon, Beacon, NY

But my favorite NYC area and where I ‘learned’ is Blue Mt. Reservation in Peekskill, it is small but only a 30 minute drive from the Bronx:

On the other side of the Hudson there is also a place called The Holy Land which is a 7,000 acre park with 12 or so miles of marked trail and another 80+ of unmarked.

I am a proponent of Lower Hudson/NYC area mountain biking.[/quote]
Oh damn. These look ridiculously fun.

^ that. this thread is fuckin killing me.

that said, you make due with what you got. 30 slow and windy miles to pop 2011’s cherry.

felt like cap’n america with the incidental getup coordination

Rather dashing moustache, sir.

lookin north towards the 'couve at some snow squalls

of course this thread inspires me to go ride and its supposed to rain for the next couple days…

Yeah, fucking rainstorms. Bring back the unseasonable heat!

hopefully soon i get clearance from my surgeon to ride my bike on the road, i forget what moving when i pedal feels like
the other day i got SAF, put a fan in front of my trainer and closed my eyes. felt good man.

[quote=username]The pictured trail is illegal but it gets a few riders a week and is best ridden very early or very late in the day as in the summer there are a lot of blueberry/mushroom pickers and hikers due to the fact that it shares with the AT for a couple of miles. The area is called the Timp and you can find a lot of maps of the area, just beware of bitchy hikers and possibly rangers/tickets.

Mt. Beacon, Beacon, NY

I am a proponent of Lower Hudson/NYC area mountain biking.[/quote]
the AT runs through CT right near me, but I feel bad about riding it.

Beacon looks sweet.

poach that shit in the dark w/headlight^

this thread makes a guy who knows nothing about mountain biking, or mountain bikes, really want to start mountain biking.

Do it. It is so choice.