Is it to early to start talking about cold weather?

So I’m thinking about going full fred and getting rainlegs this year

for the tarcker who asked about winter wool earflap type cycling hats, ebay seller ital-tecno has a deal on the rapha ones, 30-35 or something. I have really liked mine, it no longer looks gentlemanly due to pilling and bobcat grease stains, but is still cozy and warm even when pretty much soaked with rain.

Fuck this thread.

Also, Pace merino winter hats have flaps and are reversible. I love mine. One of my best winter purchases. They’re like forty bux.

[quote=mander]So I’m thinking about going full fred and getting rainlegs this year

for the tarcker who asked about winter wool earflap type cycling hats, ebay seller ital-tecno has a deal on the rapha ones, 30-35 or something. I have really liked mine, it no longer looks gentlemanly due to pilling and bobcat grease stains, but is still cozy and warm even when pretty much soaked with rain.[/quote]

I got one of those Rapha caps too. Not much of a fan. The ear flaps are the flimsiest material, doesn’t fit that great, and looks pretty gooberish.

giro has a merino wool hat for $22.
thats like $8 for lbsbros

I dunno about cold, but I got a Novarra rain jacket in Fred yellow / reflective today. All set for the winter commute.

is this the thread where I should ask what gloves are best for cold weather? moving to Salt Lake City in a week, and my fingers are usually the first thing to go on a long ride. am considering:

Mavic Inferno Glove
Gore ALP X
other gore
Castelli Estremo
Rapha Winter gloves

and also looking at wind/softshell jacket (likely rapha coz xs)

[quote=radicole]is this the thread where I should ask what gloves are best for cold weather? moving to Salt Lake City in a week, and my fingers are usually the first thing to go on a long ride. am considering:

Mavic Inferno Glove
Gore ALP X
other gore
Castelli Estremo
Rapha Winter gloves

and also looking at wind/softshell jacket (likely rapha coz xs)[/quote]

I have the rapha winter gloves, they are ok. Perfect for 35-45 deg range. with merino liners I can get them down to upper 20s, if Im riding hard. But much colder than that and you will need some lobster shit. If you want to go cheap, and nuclear, just get bar mits and DGAF till march. Also, I have one of your knee warmers, I found it when I got back to AZ. So send me your new address and Ill send it along.

Oh also, the wind jacket, you wore mine, but really I cant keep the thing on if im actually riding and it is out of the low 40s (unless I am descending). I would recommend the Castelli Leggero shit for more versatility (I wore it 4 seasons for two years, still have it). Their small would probably fit you well.

For the really cold days I use Peral Izumi Elite soft shell gloves. I haven’t ridden in a temp that they didn’t work well in, and I rode about 12 miles in 9 degrees yesterday.

ew no

gave my PI softshells away, worse than useless in any weather atmo

non-pro looks aside, these have been by far the best winter glove i’ve used: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jacob-ash-weather-beaters-ragg-wool-gloves-convertible-pop-top-for-women~p~3491c/

Maybe it’s all dependent on what the riding climate is like, but those PI gloves have been completely awesome in Colorado’s dry cold.

[quote=Roxy]ew no

gave my PI softshells away, worse than useless in any weather atmo

non-pro looks aside, these have been by far the best winter glove i’ve used: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jacob-ash-weather-beaters-ragg-wool-gloves-convertible-pop-top-for-women~p~3491c/[/quote]

Doesn’t the wind freeze your fingers off in those things?

ooh. thanks all for the tips. also a plus if I can find on amazon (coz giftcard), or on sale at one of the many crazy liquidator places. (dept. of goods, comp cyclist, etc.)

I will stress that my fingers get real cold real quick
BUT ALSO:

my toes get super crazy cold. tried just about every combo/cover/merino/etc thing I can find and I have no idea how to deal with it.

the ones i use have a thinsulate liner in the little mitt part – though honestly i ride with them “open” (bare fingers) about 70% of the time. i don’t know how it works, but everything stays toasty and comfy.

(albeit in portland/sometimes seattle cold, which means rarely below 30)

re: toes – i’m kinda the same way. best solution has been switching to slightly looser shoes so i can get away with double socks, and NO booties so you don’t sweat so damn much. the shoes actually have a lot of mesh around the toebox, and they work pretty damn well down to ~30. i’ve gone thru gore/castelli/sugoi covers… they work well for short wet rides, but if it’s dry i feel a lot happier without em.

/ymmv drastically

This thread is making me think about how everyone is super different.

[quote=Roxy]the ones i use have a thinsulate liner in the little mitt part – though honestly i ride with them “open” (bare fingers) about 70% of the time. i don’t know how it works, but everything stays toasty and comfy.

(albeit in portland/sometimes seattle cold, which means rarely below 30)[/quote]

Man, that wouldn’t work for me. I get numb fading to pain at 40 or even slightly above. I’m going to need something heavier duty for Portland - probably getting some kind of liner while here in Canada and then some windproof/water resistant and hopefully somewhat insulated bike-specific thing.

Oh, and Cole, have you tried those toe warmer things? They’re like patches that stick on the bottom of your socks. I get super cold feet, and while I haven’t had a chance to try them on long rides, they kept me pretty toasty during a cold and wet cross race.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/HealthSafety/PRD~4016-236/heat-factory-toe-warmers.jsp

[quote=GrandmaJordan][quote=Roxy]the ones i use have a thinsulate liner in the little mitt part – though honestly i ride with them “open” (bare fingers) about 70% of the time. i don’t know how it works, but everything stays toasty and comfy.

(albeit in portland/sometimes seattle cold, which means rarely below 30)[/quote]

Man, that wouldn’t work for me. I get numb fading to pain at 40 or even slightly above. I’m going to need something heavier duty for Portland - probably getting some kind of liner while here in Canada and then some windproof/water resistant and hopefully somewhat insulated bike-specific thing.[/quote]

Honestly if you get something windproof you’ll probably be fine well below the freezing point. Your fingers will start the ride cold but warm up within 10 minutes as your circulation gets up and your hands acclimate. This is a lot better than wearing warm insulated gloves and then having your hands get sweaty

Nah. I have windproof gloves. I still freeze.

Probably need more time to adapt to strengthen the Hunting Response in your hands ATMO.