Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

Where did it go wrong? How are you getting these spoke length calculations? What are you using?

I used Sapim, DT, and spokelengthcalculator .com to try to get consensus answers and took the longest guess. Not long enough!

How bad of an idea is it to break down old wheels I’ll never ride again to feed the nascent spoke hoard?

I’ve always used pro wheel builder and never had a problem except for all the times I’ve measured ERD wrong or trusted published numbers and had to buy new spokes and rebuilld.

1 Like

Did you do your own measures or use the mfgrs?

I hope everyone is measuring their rims for ERD! Spoke length calculations are high school trig but if you input garbage, you get garbage. It costs $2 to make professional-quality measuring tools.

1 Like

It costs zero to use a pair of spokes/nips, a rubberband and a tape measure.

I used mfgr numbers for the LightBicycle rim. Couldn’t find PUB rim numbers, so did my own measuring. Same outcome for both!

Did you remember to ad in the 24mm for the nipples?

1 Like

baby I think that’s 2.4mm

No, like this.

I measure the spokes between the ends of the nipples and add 24mm for the two 12mm nipples to find the ERD. This method has never failed me. I tie a rubber band around the spoke Js to keep the spokes taught as I measure with my little tailor’s tape.

3 Likes

ah, I thought you meant adding in shoulder height for LB rims, which has fucked up at least two people here (myself included!)

learned something new today, thanks!

Here is a blog I wrote on the topic in 2017.

I have several sets of measuring tools so I can pull whichever set matches the nipples I’m building with. Don’t need to screw in nipples or worry about nipples rotating/moving during the process.

3 Likes

I was mainly thinking that it would likely be cheaper and I value my time at essentially zero.

Depends on the brand. Notably DT has more threads in longer nipples, which is a terrible design IMO.

1 Like

Regardless of how far the threads go, the nipple shoulder still needs support from the spoke.
We get by with help from our friends.

1 Like

This is exactly what I did with the PUB rims. Got it from a YT video. Used a tailor’s tape, too.

That’s how I measured my Pub rims. Then I entered the number into ProWheelBuilder.
Here’s my notes for the build:

8 Likes

Pub guys. I know we already discussed this sticker but I can’t find the post and now that it’s time to stress out about I cannot make this make sense. Anyone have thoughts?

Maybe you can articulate your concern. The sticker is telling you the spokes leaving the rim in the direction of the arrow go to the non-drive side hub flange. Are you concerned the sticker was installed backwards? Or do you want to use the rim on a rear wheel?