Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

The wrench might be thinking that when the leading spokes slacken they’ll sag outwards enough to clatter against the cassette &/or dangler?

He showed me factory wheels built his way. I’m just trying to decide if I should pull it apart and redo it

It’s definitely something different mechs have different opinions on.

AIUI the argument for leading-outside is that the higher stressed spokes should be on the outside, and the spoke intersections should move outwards under tension, because the j-bends on the outside of the flange are better supported than j-bends inside the flange. Supposedly putting drive spokes on the inside of the flange could promote fatigue at the j-bends.

Jobst Brandt’s book says, “even with rear hubs the difference between mirror image and identical spoking is insignificant and should be viewed as an academic subject of little practical value.”

12 Likes

Thank you. That’s what I suspected and wanted to hear

2 Likes

You should definitely not re-do it. There is no benefit and you would put a bunch of wear on the hub flange.

A few hub vendors do specify whether leading/trailing should be inside/outside. Even in many of these cases it makes no difference (e.g. Shimano, which is the case quoted by @crowding above). Certain Chris King disc hubs need attention to lacing direction because of close clearance to the caliper. On vintage bikes you might need to pay attention to this aspect in terms of RD clearance under load.

Leading outside makes shifts into the spokes arguably marginally less harmful, because then the chain isn’t cris crossed with the spokes. But like, what jobst says.

2 Likes

I’ve hit things hard enough to pull the spoke out of the nipple threads.

I think once it’s at the point of just loose enough, loosening the rest of the way happens pretty fast

1 Like
9 Likes

Woah

1 Like

balleur

1 Like

The full meal-deal comes with @ryker ’s setup. Get that bag!

5 Likes

I shouldn’t order this…. It would be stupid of me to order this. Even if I could afford it, I should just spend the money on booze or some such.

Right?

you can afford it, and how many wheels have you built recently?

If you attend the MADE bike show in Portland at the end of August, you will be able to see the stand there in person.

1 Like

There’s an awful lot of bling in that truing stand. I wonder how many will be bought just to rot away in the corners of rich people’s bike rooms? Hopefully enough so that the calipers become available as spare parts, because that’s a thing I can actually afford.

2 Likes

heath- you already know the actual (even if not correct) answer. i’m sure they can manage to put a trash can bear on it and if not i have access to a 90(?) watt laser

1 Like

That’s the thing. I have one coming up, but I’m kinda getting out of the bike dithering game paring things down to just the one bike and spares for that.

I’d do it in a heartbeat if I built a lot of wheels.

Really, I just want to have the experience of building one wheel with @ryker’s thing. That’s like the nirvana of wheel building. The blingy stand is just kinda okay.

i’ll see you in the marketplace

Can I just get this bit retrofit to my park stand?

4 Likes