it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

I keep hearing about SP issues, and I think there have been one or two here on Tarck, but FWIW mine has been an absolute champ for nearly three years of daily use in all Seattle weather, including more than a year of crossing Lake Washington twice a day on the front of a bus.

Yeah my SP went in in 2013 and had been trouble free since. Lots of every day mileage in Seattle.

Recent hubs have not been same quality as their older ones. I’m done with SP now. Tired of having to redo wheel builds because something else has fucked them up.

New Shimano 12mm dynamo for half the price has rendered SP obsolete atmo.

I’m tempted to order one from euro land, but I don’t really want to put a dynamo on my Sequoia right now.

32498193_917006550184_7896099448718098432_n

And now his watch is ended

1 Like

I’m not sure they’re actually consumable yet.

Rose seems to be the only place online that advertises it - and delivery is ~2 week estimate. In my experience this means they need to order the part still.

Kind of wish they made a 28h TA version

Sanyo cheapo dynohub whips ass shartmo

+1 as well for the cheapy Sanyo. I’ve got two of ‘em that have been trouble free, and the cost is practically free (compared to SON) at like 45 bucks.

Link?

The bearings on my SP hub have started to spin a little better after a few hundred miles, can probably get a little more than a full rotation after spinning it with the light on. But still so stiff compared to the Shimano on another bike.

TC the only reason I wanted the QR fork on my day ruiner so that I didn’t have to mess with a SP hub

Peter White seems to sell the hubs:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/sanyo.php

Mine has been in this wheel for ~5 years now and has been flawless top to bottom, one of the lowkey extreme bargains in cycling:
http://www.intelligentdesigncycles.com/shop/dynamo-wheels-and-wheelsets/intelligent-design-cycles/idc-stout.html

Yo so that peter white link says the sanyo hub should only be run with the connector on the drive side
I set up my shimano hub with connector on the non drive side cause I figured that’s the best side for the lamp to go on
Is this a thing for all hubs?

I think it has to do with the internals unscrewing themselves in certain hubs that are designed for servicing.
This thread seems to confirm: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/internet-bob/y5OLGHfXnPg/oToSFKIlQasJ

My disc shimano hub definitely had a black arrow silkscreened on the hub body, does yours?

yes it does
dangit

Anyone want to mess with my Alfine 1.5W dynohub?32 hole, centerlock, silver. $15 plus ship? It might be good for 20" wheels where you can spin it faster.

Dibsered

Me

Have a SP from ~4 years ago, it’s going strong. I purchased one this year and had to warranty it, bearing were shot from the factory.

Also disc hub=only mounts one way.

Funny enough, I actually got this hub via a big group buy & put it on a rim brake bike so could’ve ridden it in both orientations