it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

3 Likes

grounded through the frame?

Yup! Didn’t even need to sand the paint off any of the contact areas.

2 Likes

Big exception is the Shimano Lego connector which can be field serviced with teeth if needed

1 Like

man I’ve literally tied frayed wire ends together

I have brand new, unbuilt SP SV-9 and Shimano 3N72 hubs in my hand. The SP has considerably higher resistance than the Shimano. Does that sound right? I thought this SP was supposed to be the low drag version

your fingers aren’t doing differential equations

the crisper feeling of the magnets usually correlates to lower drag in a spinning wheel

the resistance can also change radically under electrical load, especially on SON hubs where there’s a tangible benefit to turning your light off

6 Likes

Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I needed. Thanks!

1 Like

i’ve rarely met a dyno hub that i’d notice when riding. this excludes the several thousand nexus hubs i’ve met. don’t get those ones.

1 Like

The one SP hub I’ve owned (PL-8X) felt like it had noticeably more resistance light on or off compared to the four Shimano dyno hubs I also own(ed). I think that was more an issue of the bearings in the SP than the actual dyno bits.

My new metrea hub vibrates through the bars on smooth roads but also seems to have less drag than other hubs I’ve used :man_shrugging:t2:

Anyone have info on this model of shimano dyno? I’m looking for a cheap one for a winter commuter wheel, and this is cheap.

Or, to put it a different way, is there a model number below which is not Tarck approved? i.e. DH-3Nxx

I’m no expert but for cheap winter commuter wheel there is no model number too low.

8 Likes

shockingly heavy, certainly not low on drag, but it does the thing. i’ve played with a very similar 6 bolt hub

Not sure where you are, but the 3D37 hubs have been getting cleared out in the states, maybe elsewhere too and might be cheaper than that plus Euro shipping. Most/all of the ones I’ve seen have been 36H solid axle.

2 Likes

I have a 32h 3d37 and it works well

1 Like

Any Shimano dyno is fine

1 Like

Thanks y’all, I’m mostly thinking seals ‘cause salt life™️ is real up here but yeah I should not be overthinking this purchase.

The cheap nutty shimano dynos are totally serviceable and you can get fresh cones if needed.

1 Like

the 3N3* are the small wheel hubs, right? low drag if you’re sticking it on a big wheel, but might not make a ton of light at low speed.