It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

This last week I’ve put about 150 miles on a vintage BionX e-Bullitt, it’s on its 2nd battery and original rear wheel. I love it a lot and am having nostalgic fantasies of circa 2011 when I was going to tour indefinitely on my naturally aspirated Alfine 8-speed bullitt.

Here’s my old carry-shit:

So that orange bike above is a rear-drive and I’m guessing it’s not so good in foul weather? Has anyone tried adapting their own rear-drive system like a bafang? It seems like the price more than doubles for the -ebike version real quick and it’s a only a 250-watt 65Nm system…

Other e-bike observation I made this week is the mid-drive Mustache that my nephew was riding has the heaviest shifts while he’s pedaling… I tried to tell him about light pedaling while shifting… but like. Do people just explode those drivetrains?

5 Likes

Can do mid-drive bafang on a bullitt fwiw…

1 Like

Shifting is pretty normal on my torque sensing bike. I think the cadence sensing bikes can have shift sensors that cut power when you shift but maybe they don’t all have them.

2 Likes

Rear drive is probably fine in foul weather assuming it’s not some super powerful hub motor that hasn’t had some tuning (max power or current limited).

There a lots of kit options out there for probably as much as you want to spend. Grin Tech / ebikes.ca would be a good place to start researching kits/parts/etc if you want to go the hub motor route.

1 Like

all your weight is already on the rear wheel im sure it’s fine until you get into the high watt motors

Can anyone point me to some DIY e-bullets? I’m curious to see how the mid-drive works out since there’s no downtube.

For example, this seems like low-hanging fruit.

Wondering if it really does make more sense to go hub drive.

I think you could fit a mid-drive but as you say the ground clearance could get weird, especially on a bike that long.

1 Like

Relevant and thorough build document

5 Likes

Great find.

1 Like

Dual Motor AWD Electric Bikes – Case Study: Larry vs Harry Bullitt Cargo is a fun alternative as well.

3 Likes

I was at REI over the weekend and saw this thing, which intrigued me. I can’t really fit a long tail cargo bike into my life, but I’ve been wanting an ebike for a bit and something like this seems like it would be more convenient to have around if it does the light duty cargo bike stuff well enough.

I don’t generally have a very high opinion of REI’s house brand bikes but maybe I am just being a snob? Rad power makes one like this that also seems potentially very turdly.

Are those misguided prejudices? Is this style of bike actually good? Who else makes one?

I feel like a complete noob with this ebike stuff

:tarckbear:

1 Like

sup has one and loves it. it is torque sensing, the racks are nice, and im not sure if they’ve updated the ones in store, but they switched from a 42t to a 48t ring and sent them out to owners free of charge.

it’s a fun bike. it’s not a high end e-bike, but it is very cromulent

edit: def less cheapo than a radpower IME

4 Likes

I was looking at those when I was at REI the other day too. Like @karl_dandleton says, it’s not high end but perfectly cromulent. Kinda considering one for grocery runs and other light duty tasks. But if I have to buy a whole menagerie of new bags for the bike that’s kind of a bummer.

I see a lady and her kid on the way home every day riding an orange Rad Power e-cargo bike and it looks like a much nicer bike, but it could just be the glossy paint fooling me.

narrator: it wasn’t a nicer bike unless they replaced all the parts. At least the brakes because 160mm cable disc brakes on a longtail do not in any way fit the definition of adequate for a longtail in Seattle.

We upgraded our 180mm Shimano hydros on our xtracycle to thicker downhill rotors and 4 piston calipers for reliable stopping.

ftfy

2 Likes

Meant to post in here but forgot… im selling these parts, all purchased from Grin directly.

Bafang G311 Fast Wind (10.5 rpm/V) Front Geared Hub Motor with 9-pin Waterproof Higo Z910 Motor Plug with Combined Speed + Thermistor Signal.

Grin V4 Baserunner_Z9, Flat Field-Oriented Waterproof Motor Controller for Battery Enclosures with Z910 Plug. 60V Max and 55A Peak Phase Currents (~30-35A Continuous).

Z910 60CM Extension cable

Would give a good deal for any Tarck folks. let me know if you are interested. Low miles, I upgraded to a beefier motor/motor controller

Planning on going DIY route eventually hopefully… most of my cycletruck stuff should swap over to a bullitt or ominum frame if I end up going that route. its a hub drive

1 Like

I think this was the model I was looking at, let me refresh my brain since the model numbers didn’t stick.

This would be a great motor for a 20” wheel on a Clyde fork.