It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

Consider the friend-hauling aspect of it too, IMO. Depending on how limiting you want to be, you can remove them having to make that choice by choosing a bike with no rear rack or at least a removable rear rack.

16mph is completely fine as a max-assisted speed.

If you go rear-hub motor, it’s worth searching out a model that still has a torque-sensing BB. The ride is better, and I’d argue they are also meaningfully safer.

ATMO rear-hub motor doesn’t deserve the stigma, especially on entry-level stuff. They are fine.

3 Likes

I have one of those half bong jawns from their clearance sale last fall and it’s…OK. it’s very heavy and has a long wheelbase, which takes for some adjustments in handling when compared to analog bikes. Step-thru is also nice-to-have for a heavier bike since it makes it easier to balance when getting on it, but I have the regular TT version.

Another problem I have with it is that I feel beat up after riding it over the shitty bumpy roads in the boston area. I have a TranzX antishock stem but might switch to a redshift or cane creek with actual travel…I’m guessing the aluminum frame/fork is way stiff to accommodate the battery and weight range of riders.

1 Like

Someone local on FB marketplace is selling one of these right under a bong. Is the cadence sensing pedal assist + throttle a deal-breaker?

It doesn’t have to be, but it means it will ride more like a moped than a bicycle shartmo

Agreed, and if the teens around here are any indication it will essentially be an e-moped, with the pedals used infrequently to actually propel the bike.

I might have personal hang-ups with that, but if that works with what @Dickason_Daniel 's intended use there’s nothing wrong with it. Better than the noise/maintenance/smell of a gas scooter.

Charge moved to budget ebikes? I guess the name was already there so I guess it makes sense.

1 Like

This is not my intention. I’ve only ever ridden the Specialized one and a Haibike with Bosch. Both had torque sensing. That seems like the proper way for it to work. I don’t really trust the 14yo with an emoped.

2 Likes

It’s hilly where you live, I vote against a single speed. My buddy has a Ride1Up Roadster and complains.

This might just complicate the search terms for you but worth knowing the potential differences in classes of e-bike:

And more importantly:

Looks like class 1 is the ideal for Connecticut because state law limits trails and paths. Here’s the link

2 Likes

how do you feel about charge? i could probably get you nice price as they are shuttering the brand but i think. they would still bolt strong on warranty

aha- just saw this. a friend of the forum works at the same conglomerate and i think his 40% offer could probably be extended

1 Like

How’s the Marin Sausalito? Looks good on paper.

Honestly I like the form factor of the Specialized Haul ST too, but don’t love the throttle.

Do you not love the design or the fact that it exists?

1 Like

Existence. You ridden one? You like it? Trust Wayjay with a throttle emoped?

FWIW the throttle is an optional accessory. I have ridden it and think it’s pretty sweet, very powerful. I would not let my kid ride it with the throttle installed because it is totally an e-moped at that point. I’ll probably snag a long tail when they are available.

1 Like

Oh? Tell us more

Pretty much the same thing with a longer butt. The weight capacity will be the same (419#) but should be better for bulkier cargo or multiple kiddo’s and whatnot. Don’t have an ETA on it yet unfortunately.

2 Likes

Did you guys know there’s a place that does just used ebikes?

Looking hard at the used Cero One.

1 Like

Any opinions on STEPS vs Bosch on 2023 e-mtbs?

Sister wants a grocery getter / kid hauler. Pushing her towards tern gsd. Anything similar that makes more sense? Kid is 4 yo 40lbs

Both are really good. Shimano EP8 (and EP6) feel less powerful overall, but the power curves are smoother. I haven’t messed with Bosch’s new app but the Shimano E-tube app was pretty nice for adjusting assist levels and the like. Bosch tends to give you the power a bit more quickly. Some might call it ‘punchier;’ I call it ‘jerkier.’

Early EP8 motors developed a rattle that Shimano said wasn’t a big deal. I am unsure if that is fixed but It gives me pause to put my money into one.