It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

I’m about to get a long termer Tern HSD for work stuff, which is a bit shorter but can still carry a kid. I’ve ridden both the GSD and the new HSD (not commuting, but with people on back of both) and the new HSD is surprisingly cromulent. Both feel pretty stable with that much weight on the back, and as far as cargo bikes are concerned I am not sure there’s much out there that can touch the packaging they offer

1 Like

gonna second the GSD/HSD recco, not much beats em for space/hauling capacity. I’m partial to xtracycles but I have a lot of space.

1 Like

that dumb rei thing sup has. rear rack is sized for yepp jawn

2 Likes

I spend most of the morning riding around on Lime bikes, and now I want an ebike again because that shit was easy. I should put the Clyde fork on my bike and then source a conversion kit and have my own ecargo bike, right? Afterall, I have the parts and the means…

4 Likes

nope. just go to the store and buy an already integrated e-bike and dither some grips and pedals.

3 Likes

Put the Clyde fork on a Dew-E

2 Likes

brooks had it figured out and made the most perfect bike ever created. it was some form of vado with a clydesdale fork and it don’t get much better.

5 Likes

it goes up to 15mph and has a 750w hub motor. some kid is gonna die riding this ridiculous balance bike

I put 3,000 miles on my bbshd cargo bike on a stock normal chain. Do what you want but it did fine

Depends on you so so much. Do you want to tinker with stuff for a while until you get it dialed in? It’s going to be f****** badass and it’s going to be exactly what you want. For a significant cost savings. Or buy something off the shelf that will be pretty trouble-free yet lessowerful, and less customized to your needs?

I’ve done 1.5 commutes with the Mahle X35 setup. It’s got some quirks, but it has knocked my commute from 60 minutes to 45. Also because I’m a nerd, the power meter shows the TSS dropped from 50 to 25. I think that will make my daily commute more sustainable.

The system uses a special cassette lockring for motor control, which ties the output to cadence. That seems to be a big complaint. I can see why, if you’re grinding up a steep pitch. I have a mountain cassette, so I get pretty much all of the motor output on climbs. It also wants to wheelie off stop lights, though.

Supposedly, you can run lights off the system. I’ll have to see if I can find more information about the controller. They have their documentation locked down.

1 Like

why does this have a 52 tooth cassette?

why not. If you want big gear range on a 1x system you need a big cassette, this is equivalent gear range to the 44/28 x 11-36 on my gravel bike.

one of my buds at deathride this year had a 10-50 in the back on his 1x road bike and after 10kft of climbing with 5kft more to go I was very jealous.

Yes but it’s an e-bike

I guess you might use the lowest 2-3 gears if you decide to turn the assist off or your battery dies and you have to crawl up a mountain

But I rarely use the bottom 3-4 gears of an 11-36 cassette on my e-cargo bike and we have a combined weight of a fuckton

looks like a fairly gravely bike so the intended use might include steep singletrack? and I don’t really see e-mountain bikes ditching the 10-50 or 10-52 cassettes for something smaller, even if the e-assist means they don’t “need” it. :person_shrugging:

I can’t peddle fast enough at 36-50 to stay upright, the only time I ever hit it is like technical rooty standing up powering over an obstacle. just seems like it adds $100 to the build that’s not going to be used very often if at all.

I run 32x52 on my enduro sled. :man_shrugging:

That spec is a 46T 1X. I haven’t done the gear inch conversion, but I’m guessing it’s close to 34x40.

that looks like a regular ass bike. p sure bikes are over.

3 Likes

???

30T or 32T chainring with a 50-52T big cog is a pretty normal spec for off-the-peg MTBs today?

I have a 30x51 on my mountain bike with big 29x2.6" tires and i get down to the bottom of the cassette pretty frequently. it’s also basically the same gear-inches as the 28x42 low gear with a 26x2.3" tire on my bikepacking bike

46x50 low gear is about identical to 34x37. So this is a gear range that’s basically equivalent to a 50/34 x 11-36 setup.

3 Likes

i’m in the low gear on my ebike in SF all the time.