ITT: Tarck helps Face design a bike

I don’t know. I don’t know what kinda trail numbers I should be looking at with big tires and risers.

What I just described, I imagine…

Do you intend to go really, really fast down hills?

Yup.

Time to fiddle with rattlecad some more.

Well, that’s a confounding goal.

Really fast with a load?

I mean really fast for a rigid bike with a sandwich bouncing around in a Wald basket.

Most of it will be very slow unless assisted by gravity.

And I guess both loaded and unloaded isn’t exactly what will be going on. It will always have a rack, a basket, a bag, and a flat/tool kit up front. So there will always be some weight on the front end.

In which case, we’re back to the low 60s in trail, ATMO.

I’ll see if I can whip something up in BikeCad next day or so. Fork you’re looking at is the Salsa one?

• 468mm axle-to-crown
  • 45mm rake

That’s the one. I’m playing around in rattlecad right now. From what I can gather trail numbers effect big knobby tires differently than smaller slicks but I’m not sure in what way. It seems like I want a 71-73 deg head angle which should get me 80-66mm trail. Also not too worried about higher trail with big bars. 71.5 deg should come out to 76mm, which I can drop into the low 70s with a smaller tire.

Bad idea, stupid idea, or both to add 15mm more offset to that cromoto fork right above the brake tab? It would be a 5 deg bend.

Probably better off to use as is and maybe change later if needed.

That won’t be an easy bend to make unless you have some motorsport connections with fancy benders.

Bigger wheels make a bigger triangle which means more trail.

@igor, will the VO polyvalent fork clear a 29x2.3?

Def not. A Piolet fork will though

Lol, now we’re back to qr.

I’ve got qr salsa qr cro-moto fork with no zits kicking around you could have for very cheap. I’m just not sure it’s the kind of thing worth building a bike around.

I’m feeling this strong right now.

Just eyeballed the offset on my current basket bike and it’s over 70mm with a 73° HTA.

OK, I got hella more dithering to do. I think we might be back to qr and a Piolet fork.

OK, so. Starting anew.

This bike doesn’t need to concern itself with front loading. This’ll be for light trail riding, we have a good 2 hour loop of tame trails and fire road climbs that are possible on a cross bike, but more fun with bigger tires. What I need is a karate monkey with nice tubes, plain boost through axle dropouts, and far fewer zits. It’ll take a regular through axle rigid fork too, that salsa thing probably.

Old bike was too Homer car, new bike is just bike for riding on dirt.

1 Like

there is this nicer euromonkey:

1 Like

Your geometry is large Unit X almost to the mm?

Very very close. That’s a quick sketch with some of the wrong specs as far as tube lengths but HTA STA, and reach are bang on but with a higher stack and lower bb.

I think you know the answer

1 Like

Yep, I need a unit clone.