Juan Pelota Finally Caves

Landis is full of shit as ever. He acts like he spilled the beans on his own doping of his own accord, which is laughable. Then he goes on to whine about how his victimization failed to clean up the sport, like some messiah who died on the cross in vain.

I don’t love his tone either, but he makes some good points about the drabness of modern pro road racing. I don’t know what to make of his argument that rich, fitness-obsessed Americans shouldered their way into Europe and made everyone treat doping as a moral issue, it feels like an unecessary triangulation.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him claim he spilled the beans of his own accord. The quote most often ascribed to him regarding his motivations is that the mob has more honor than professional cycling as they protect their own.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him claim he spilled the beans of his own accord. The quote most often ascribed to him regarding his motivations is that the mob has more honor than professional cycling as they protect their own.[/quote]
I meant the interview linked above.

[quote=Landis]
nobody got punished that was actually at fault

They made money on it, and they threw us under the bus.

I thought that when I came clean it would at least solve some of that, so that there would be some good that came out of the whole event that nearly killed me, and nothing happened.[/quote]

I think there’s another similar bit elsewhere. I mean “when I came clean”? Seriously? He was caught in 2006. Then he tried to get the case dropped on a technicality, then variously claimed that the results were due to drinking whisky, dehydration, and god knows what else, and he eventually appealed to the CAS. Lost that case as well in 2008. Finally admitted doping in 2010.

I kinda feel like he followed the standard script until it was obviously not worth it anymore, then turned. Figuring that out slightly faster than others was his major distinction.

But then again I admired his enjoyment of beer even during major stage races, so I certainly can’t be trusted…

I think Landis was trying to pull a Jose Canseco. Get out in front of it and be the hero instead of the heel. But not only did he play it wrong, he didn’t get out in front of it. So then by trying to pretend he did he just ended up looking like a smug jackass.

[quote=b-roll]I kinda feel like he followed the standard script until it was obviously not worth it anymore, then turned. Figuring that out slightly faster than others was his major distinction.

But then again I admired his enjoyment of beer even during major stage races, so I certainly can’t be trusted…[/quote]
Yeah, but I’m not sure that four years is faster than anyone else.
And IIRC he tried to bully whistleblowers into silence by threatening them with lawsuits in the course of those four years. Altho I might be making that up.

He definitely called up Greg LeMond and mocked him for being molested as a child.

…and it just goes on.

Lance should settle. As part of that settlement he should start using Floyd’s of Leadville products and chill the fuck out like Floyd above.

[quote=halbritt]…and it just goes on.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2237386/road-goes-forever-and-story-never-ends[/quote]

articles about him are way too long… started reading and then quickly gave up when i saw the length.

i mean… TLDR

Yeah I read most of that a few days ago but all I remember is that a) it was very verbose b) Lance is still a self-obsessed jerk and c) he might lose all his money to a lawsuit with US Postal.

I just picked up on this bit of the story, however:

Landis launched his own whistleblower lawsuit under the ­federal False Claims Act against the men he said defrauded the Postal Service by taking its sponsorship money while doping. The main targets were Lance Armstrong and team director Johan Bruyneel […] the whistleblower—in this case, the deeply compromised doper, liar, and cheater Floyd Landis—stands to make up to […] $24 million.

Not sure how I feel about that. And it seems that Landis is so chill about the lawsuit because being the whistleblower granted him immunity, so he’s just waiting to see how much money Lance has to pay back and how big a cut he gets. It’s easy to be chill about that.

Anyone seen the Icarus doc yet?

Yes, It’s to insane…

Watched it over the weekend. Russian corruption is impressive and scary.

I felt the same. I watched it a second time last night it was so insane. I hesitate to mention anything that would spoil it for others.

It wasn’t covered in the movie, but I wonder why the Russians aren’t completely dominating the medals throughout international competition…

because we’re better at working the rules?

Because the U.S. and western Europe are better at cheating. The whole Russian program that they got hammered for was essentially them trying to catch up to us, and the only way they could do it was this sort of wholesale cheating. The athletes, coaches, and associations in the west are good at finding, training, and doping within the rules (and outside but not getting caught, mostly), and Russia isn’t.

Cheating is not the best way to put it. I agree with you and that is what I was trying to communicate, but what I’m saying is that it is at least a mix of making the rules and finding the grey areas within them. Way more elaborate than cheating. The Russians were merely cheating. That’s why they got caught.

I think we agree here, though I would say that there is still western outright cheating, as evidenced by people getting caught.