Junk going numb on rollers?

I’m riding the same set up as I do on the road/trails. I never have a problem even on some long distance, like centurys on road and 50 mile MTB rides. My saddle of choice has always been the classic Flite.

On the rollers after about 15 minutes I get numb. I don’t notice till after I get off the bike. If I ride for longer it’s scary numb when I stop.

I’ve tried getting my handle bars higher but this seems to make no difference.

Fuck! this is ruining my plans to get real lean over the winter and DOMINATE the Northeast in the spring.

Help…

Please…

Try standing up every now n then?

I get real squirrely on the rollers if I stand.

I can’t really do it either.

Sounds like you found something to work on. Try and keep your spin smooth as you transition out of the saddle.

For the record, I can do it standing, but I really have to dance on the pedals lightly.

Thanks

I’ll try it out next session. Riding rollers is just fun enough to keep me motivated. I lose interest resistance trainers after about 30 seconds.

This happened to me other other day (first time on rollers). I rode for about 45 minutes, and realized that I was numb probably 20-30 minutes in… I tried standing up (sketch as hell for me)…didn’t help much as I wasn’t able to stand more than a couple seconds a go.

rollers are a blast! I wish I could ride them in my apartment, but they scare the shit out of the little old shut-in lady in the unit below me.

It happens to me too. I find I get uncomfortable about 4x faster on rollers than I do on the road. What I do is take little breaks off the rollers for a few minutes at a time and then get back on the bike. I can stand about 20 minutes tops on the rollers and then I gotta get off for a break (from being ridiculously sweaty first, and going taint-numb second). On the road I can ride the same bike (Alien) for a good two hours before saddle comfort starts to become an issue (at which point I usually get off and eat a PBJ, problem solved…).

is resistance on the pedals less while riding rollers than while actually riding?

Hey, I’m buying rollers tomorrow!
Time for drunken new years party rolloffs!

It might be time to look again at your saddle choice or saddle adjustment. Maybe
something is a little off but on the road you never sit the same for any length of time.
Standing is good advice. If you can learn to stand up and sit back down smoothly on
the rollers you will be smooth enough to do so in a pace line without crashing the
riders who are behind you. Also, learn to ride the rollers with no hands. This will give
you a chance to sit up straight and restore circulation a little. No hands smooths your
pedal stroke out even more.

Yes, way less even if you’re pedaling a 100" gear.

You can add some resistance by taking off some tire pressure though.

[quote=“zombie”]
I can do it standing[/quote]
thats what she said

Thanks for the tips…

I switched to a San Marco Aspide and did some standing as well as trying to ride no hands.

Standing Up I get a big quad burn fast and the heart rate spikes. After a few times I got smoother but still kind of squirrely. No hands is another story. It wold be easier if the rollers were 10’ wide…lol. I could manage a few seconds.

I was on for about 20 min total. Junk is a little numb though not as bad as last time.

I’ve been wanting to work into 1 hour a day of zone 2 training to burn fat but not at the expense of my sex life.

Maybe its time for the boring wind trainer or Nordic track??

ThisSucks!

[quote=“DDYTDY”]
Standing Up I get a big quad burn fast and the heart rate spikes. After a few times I got smoother but still kind of squirrely. No hands is another story. It wold be easier if the rollers were 10’ wide…lol. I could manage a few seconds.

Maybe its time for the boring wind trainer or Nordic track??[/quote]

I have a spinervals video that has some standing during the warmup. I thought
it was going to kill me the first few times but it gets better. Now I can even
stand on the rollers with my fixed gear. Lean way back and use a big gear when
you try no hands. You want to keep your hands close to the bars but what you
need is to get your weight back off the front wheel. Leaning back will let the
circulation go back to your junk too. Every time I see anybody do the “no hands
one leg” trick on rollers they are leaning way back.

I’ve been using a jump rope for my winter cardio and fat burning. I will get back
to the rollers and some mountainbiking next week though.

I would look at your saddle position/saddle selection again.
Also, you might want to look into getting more supportive bibs/shorts.

This might sound really dumb, BUT I would practice riding the trainer like you ride your bike on the road. If you consciously think about the position you are in while riding on the road, mimicking that position on rollers should not cause discomfort.

just my nickels.
m

i wounder if it is because rollers are smooth, where the road is not completely smooth which jostles you around a bit, which means taint pressure changes keeping you from being numb.

this

this[/quote]

no. it is because on the road you are putting out a lot more power which decreases the amount of weight that is on your saddle. on the rollers there is WAY less resistance, therefore less lift from your legs when you pedal.

trainers are also smooth, but noone (including the OP) has complained about the same thing on their trainer - because you can get way more resistance from a trainer (see above).