Kit Chat

What does the base layer solve? I’ve got a few but ive never been like oh yeah this improves like. Sweat dissipation?

Yeah, I’ve always found the wicking to be better than a jersey alone but I’m usually wearing a baselayer + tech t-shirt these days.

Also have a couple of those and wondering the same thing. Those things work well, one wonders if there are other, maybe less inexpensive options that work even better.

Under.

Yes.

I wear a mesh base layer under that Castelli thermal jersey/jacket thing. Works great to extend the upper range of temps it’s suitable for.

2 Likes

I got a merino wool one from Chain Reaction that was like $30 and that one’s pretty bomb too. Its a little scratchy when you first put it on but after you get bibs and jersey on its hecka comfy atmo, seems to do its job as well as the giro one I have

1 Like

So what temps and how should I be using a base layer? Should I do it when it’s hot hot?

All of em except maybe when its hot hot, that might be a personal preference. Might feel uncomfortable if you’re not used to another layer when it’s already extra hot

1 Like

Any temps. The notion being that they help move more moisture away from your skin in all conditions.

I tried some of these in the winter and ended up preferring synthetic for better wicking and I generally prefer merino for all things.

1 Like

The pegoretti rapha jerz?

No I want a tastefully designed pink white and brown jersey

my wife has a laugh whenever I wear the mesh tops around the house, they have a bit of a magic mike vibe

2 Likes

baselayer under bib straps.

I’m all baselayer all the time, with mesh in the summer and warmer stuff in the cold season. Black Bibs is pretty good for hot humid weather, older thick Capilene t shirts are great when it’s cold out, but not full jacket weather.

Dunno when @EndpointBraden is going to have bibs ready, but for this season, I’m wearing Velocio foundation (good) and Assos sT.Equipe (better) bibs.

Agreed. TBB ones are top notch. I have a Girodana FRC that has softer 4 way stretch material and is marginally more comfortable, but I don’t think it works any better.

For cool weather the Rapha mesh merino stuff is incredible. I have some ancient Capo Forma ones that are somehow still kicking for the coldest days Richmond can come up with.

Hopefully 3 weeks.

4 Likes

hit me up i’ll get some. cargo bibs… we are a long way from flipped grippers and weird noodle straps

In the realm of merino socks, I’ve recently gotten some by Darn Tough, Smartwool, and Swiftwick.

Darn Tough doesn’t make a cycling specific one. I think the ones I have are ultra light crew or some such. Anyway, I’ve had a hard time finding ones from them that work well.

The Smartwool PhD cycling sock is the best fit so far, but their patterns are terrible, the crew is too long and the quarter-crew is too short. The flat toe seam is the best.

Just got some Swiftwick Pursuit in four and seven varieties. I like the length of the four. toe seam is not as flat as the Smartwool and it’s doesn’t fit across the instep quite as well.

1 Like

I am deliberately delaying my purchase of new bicycle pants so hurry up, I’m tired of doing laundry twice a week

1 Like

Damn. This is some serious pressure.

Not impressed with the jersey from Le Col. Materials are fine, stitching leaves something to be desired.

Cut is mostly fine. Maybe a little flappy across the top of the shoulders.

Huh. How is it that mine hasn’t even shipped yet?

If it is flappy on your shoulders it’s going to be a parachute on mine

No pressure just come over and do my laundry

By the way I don’t suppose your first batch includes white jerseys of any sort?