Leadville Trail MTB 100 2013

i’ll do it with you. i have a friend that has done it like 3 times. he’s a big fella, too.

Tarck @ Leadville 2013?

I know I would never qualify for it, but worth a shot?

[quote=motorbacon]Tarck @ Leadville 2013?

I know I would never qualify for it, but worth a shot?[/quote]

you totally could qualify or at least enter the lottery.

Dammit you fuckers. Now I’m thinking I should start training for this shit and see if I qualify. FACK.

why not. 300 bucks is steep, but honestly it’s the experience of a lifetime imo.

between A. do something epic
B. Fap and take a nap.

i’d usually choose B and then regret it later. That’s a cycle i’d like to break.

I think I’ll base my 2012 mtb refresh off this. I’m leaning towards a ti 29er hard tail with a 100 travel fork from Potts, Eriksen or Firefly. Thoughts/comments?

i’ve got an XC geekhouse comin in. 29er. 110mm travel. crabon wheels.

I would like to try it, but I think all the weirdos and the crowded trails would just ruin it.

I’d rather ride 100 miles alone.

Levi did Leadville on a 26er last year which makes sense for him since he’s a small dude. I feel like the all the climbing might be nicer on 26" wheels for someone your size, but there’s no reason a 29er wouldn’t fit ya just fine. 26er will be a little lighter and accelerate easier, but 29er will descend better. I’m not a weight weenie, but if I was gonna MTB for 100miles above 10k’, I’d want to save weight and not have to muscle the bike around as much. Basically, conserve energy, cuz you’ll need it at that elevation.

The one time I rode out there (on pavement), above 11.5k was where I really started to feel it.

I dunno, personally I think this type of riding is exactly where a 29er is going to shine. Not particularly gnarly and technical endurance riding is basically ideal for big wheels. The increased momentum over bumps is going to be a huge advantage over a 100 mile course at race level exertion

EDIT: And this is coming from someone who doesn’t even like 29ers

I thnk a FS would be my weapon of choice for a ride this long. Doing 100 off road miles on a hardtail would certainly be possible, but I think the light weight and pedaling efficiency would be offset by the physical and mental fatigue that a FS will spare you. Especially with the current crop of FS 29ers on the market that are light and pedal well, like the Santa Cruz Tallboy, Yeti SB-95, Ibis Ripley, etc. A FS is going to be waaay more forgiving when you start throwing down sloppy ass lines all willy nilly in mile 85.

I personally would probably want a 5" travel 26" for something like this, but I’m hella short and don’t do the whole 29er thing.

I’ve been looking for a new cycling goal…hmmm…

Also, $300 is likely going to be nothing compared to all the travel expenses and other prep and incidentals that are involved in an event like this. Not to mention the extra equipment you’ll go through or “need to buy” in the process of training to be fast at something like that. It’s all part of the “fun” of a big event.

I’d go with the 29er and a weight weenie build. Big delicate wheels rolling better will beat you up less in the gnar. (X-terra riders need not apply.)

Firefly…

…They’re good people as well as artists/craftsmen.

Shit, now you have me thinking of this…

Fuck you!

Niner Air 9 Carbon.

That’s gonna be sweet.

Thought about a soft tail, or a pivotless short rear travel a la the Salsa Spearfish?

Yeah. I wouldn’t want to ride this on a HT, but I have no idea how rough/smooth the terrain is. In Santa Cruz my legs usually start fatiguing not while pedaling, but during the downhill as I’m off the saddle and riding over some decently rough stuff.

Well, the Spearfish was specifically made for endurance MTB. IIRC it was ridden in several 24-hour races while prototyping, so I’d imagine it’s a pretty good bike for that use. It’s also a good deal - much less expensive than other FS. I’d imagine the super-simple pivotless suspension is why.

In my dreams, I have visions of riding a Leadville. But I’d have to lose 75 pounds to even consider it. I’m going for a century and double century on the road first. Maybe in a few years.

I have yet to do a road century.

I’ll probably do mtb century before road.