Let stalk about Bike Fit

Here.

i’m firmly in the “ride whatever, adjust to make more comfortable, don’t measure anything” camp. works ok.

until you get professionally fit and realize that 5 small changes make your riding experience eminently more pleasurable, faster, and less painful.

possibly a dq:

are there any off the rack cheap fixed frames (<$300), that have short top tubes?

i.e a longer st than tt?

even a st=tt frame would work.

[quote=biekridder]possibly a dq:

are there any off the rack cheap fixed frames (<$300), that have short top tubes?

i.e a longer st than tt?

even a st=tt frame would work.[/quote]

depends on what size you ride.
you won’t find a 52cm frame with a longer st than tt…larger frames it’s more common.
lots of mid sized frames tend to have same tt and st lengths.

As much as I would love to have my bike fit professionally, it would be annoying if they only changed a couple of things… My friend said he had his bike fit and they barely did anything to it :colbert:.

I probably shouldn’t, but I claim to know a thing or two about bike fit based on years of experience fitting myself and others.

its really not annoying… it allows you to stop fucking with it and know that it is right.

[quote=cookietruck][quote=biekridder]possibly a dq:

i.e a longer st than tt?

even a st=tt frame would work.[/quote]

depends on what size you ride.
you won’t find a 52cm frame with a longer st than tt…larger frames it’s more common.
lots of mid sized frames tend to have same tt and st lengths.[/quote]
need a 55 or 56 tt at the most.
a longer st than tt would be better than square, but i’m not sure if this exists (hence dq)

fit is a living thing
it changes as your body and fitness change
so it isn’t really a constant

right now i feel like i should have a longer stem on my road bike
i have a 100 and think i should put on a 110

Mainly where I could use help is with cleat angle. Pain in the ass (well, knees really).

it was a little bit of a pain getting my cleats adjusted
but i would just bring a tool with me and i would pull over in the middle of a ride and adjust that shit
i got it now where it feels good man

i do think my left leg is slightly longer than my right
and that is sort of annoying

also dudes don’t be afraid to make really minor small incremental adjustments
in saddle bar height and cleat angle and setback

if you ride enough and listen to your body i think you can figure out pretty much anything a fitter is gonna tell you

pretty much what stiffytruck said. fit is dynamic and changes with all kinds of factors, mainly flexibility, hours per week riding, core strength and type of riding.

i’ve been fit by 4 different people on 3 different bikes. 2 were free, 2 were paid. 1 didn’t know what the hell he was doing in stem length/bar drop, but that guy has some really weird ideas when it comes to fit. there’s a ton of different philosophies regarding fit - one of the debates i’ve been getting interested in lately is the argument between floating cleats and fixed cleats, which boils more directly into whether your knees should move straight up and down like pistons in the pedal stroke or whether they should be allowed to do their own things (which for most people means knees going towards the top tube at some point in the stroke). after speedplays didn’t work for me, i’m more intrigued by the idea of fixed cleats and how to dial them in perfect to avoid knee problems and gain maximum power output.

if anything, having a good fit will teach you how to better fit yourself in the future and how to listen to your body better. another advantage is having all types of different stem lengths and angles available to swap out on the fly so you don’t have to waste money trying to figure out the perfect drop/reach.

as far as torso angle and bar reach, i subscribe to the old school approach to fitting - high and long, with elbows bent at a near 90 degree angle in the drops and the rider able to support themselves with their core if they were to take their hands off the bars. this translates into a well-balanced, well-fitting bike atmo.

bernard hinault is a great example of what i’m referring to:

^ that’s how my bikes fit. and also. finally andre sayin somehting i can agree with, lulz. :bear:

i went from floating (yellow spd-sl) to zero float and have had no knee problems at all. i’ve noticed my knees to move in towards the top tube just a bit when i’m riding but idgaf. i don’t haz pain so it’s all good.

i been feeling like the last few weeks i could go to a 12cm stem on mah bieks (have 11cm now). the track bike already has one.
i have my bars high and far out. feels good.

most bikes i see on these forums…i feel like they could move the saddle down and back and the bars up and out a bit.
it will do wonders for your comfort level on long rides.

my earlier post ITT might disqualify me from giving great advice here, but…

when i was looking to pick up a set of mountain (2-bolt) pedals for commuting/general use, i had a look at the older speedplays which my dad had prescribed by his fitter many years ago due to knee pain. shortly after that, i found a good deal on a package of several bebop cleats/pedals, and made the plunge.

it’s been great for me. bit of a learning curve, and i still whack my heel into the chainstay more often than i should, but it’s awzum.

Bike fitting makes you realize that you have a freakish body if you didn’t already know.

for me i feel like top is much more dynamic than the bottom. i haven’t really figured out my bottom perfectly yet. i’m pretty sure i’ve filled quite a few threads with that shit.

when you guys talk about knee pain, what are you talking about specifically? i have pretty much got all of my fit issues resolved except a slight “itchiness” in the medial/bursis area of my right knee, which is on the longer leg. wondering if fixed would help. still hesitant to drop dough on a road shoe system/shims. i would hate to have to commute in road shoes. i know the right leg is a little low though.

and measurement goes a long way with me, i pay attention to millimeters. it’s a thin line between over extending one leg and having one to low.

it turns out I have a giraffe neck, so while I look like a 56, I’m more like a 54 or 55 (TT).

idgaf honestly

This. I have really short legs and pretty short arms, so to get my bars far enough out and up, I usually have to go with a seat tube that’s a cm or two too long and just deal with the standover.

Will the new H plus track frame have an asian-friendly size? If so, I’ll be super tempted…