Living Car-Free

Does a motorcycle count?

I ain’t got NO problem parking downtown no matter what time it is :colbert:

get out of my thread

lol

I ain’t never stuck in traffic no matter what time it is :colbert:

I’m so close! Once I build my xtra its on! No car for anything! I can’t wait to have a bike that I can load two other bikes onto!

I have no need to own a car when i live downtown, and have my bike…seriously i dont know how much gas costs.

no license; been living off bikes and friendly friends forever

i got my permit on my 15th birthday, drove for about 5 minutes in a parking lot and decided i was done

I got my licence when I was 19 to go on a road trip with my gf.
Since then I’ve only ever driven for travel purposes.
Although yesterday I talked my roommate into driving me to Performance so I could buy a workstand. All I could think about was that if I had my xtracycle I wouldn’t be sitting in traffic, listening to his crappy music.

I’m toying with the idea of selling my truck and relying on just my bikes and my motorcycle (longer distances). Unfortunately the poor motorcycle is in bad shape and won’t be good reliable long distance transportation until I put some time into her. The truck pretty much sits in the parking lot 4 - 6 days a week.

almost…but not quite which saddens me. i’m getting really close.

I live car free without wasting money and space on a yuppie “utility bike.”

Sorry… that thread was bugging me.

“Oooh look I can put my little L.L. Bean wearing kids in my basket! I’m sooo continental!”

Lol. I’m guessing you’re a bachelor…

I wouldn’t call a utility bike yuppie. All the bikes on that thread were awesome.

I can get the groceries I need in my pack but if I needed to get anymore groceries then what bachelor me needs I would need racks. Heck even now I am considering making a trailer so I don’t have to go to the store as much.

living car free works in many cities/towns, but my 65+ mile daily commute on a bike, in 95 degree-extremely humid-miami, would really suck. i am an advocate for reducing driving or using public transportation as much as possible, but that’s even difficult here since our train system goes straight with no spidering at all… so you have to live/work exactly where it goes or… bring your bike (but only on “off” hours when they let you which means not during rush hour… when you’d need it for work). have i mentioned how bad miami is for bike riders? yeah, it sucks. i’m jealous of you guys who get to ride so much.

Artblur, the problem is that you live in Florida.

[quote=“zombie”]I live car free without wasting money and space on a yuppie “utility bike.”

“Oooh look I can put my little L.L. Bean wearing kids in my basket! I’m sooo continental!”[/quote]

C’mon Carl, I’m no yuppie and have no fucking kids, but I am a person who frequently needs to cary things that are way to big to put in even the biggest mess bag. Yuppies don’t ride utility bikes, they ride Treks with kiddie trailors on saturday and BMW SUV’s the rest of the week.

edit:no kids that i know of.

Dad?

Have never even had a license, let alone owned a car, until a few years ago I admit I spent most of my time on public transport but now it’s pedal power all the way. Oh and an understanding gf with a pick up for moving big stuff or going along way away to find bikes/parts. My work now has 3 xtracycles so I’m going to use those to move some of the stuff the truck used to do. I built the gf a Cannondale to ride so she can use the truck less thru the summer as well.

I only drive if I’m not alone, and the person/people I’m with don’t ride.

[quote=“zombie”]I live car free without wasting money and space on a yuppie “utility bike.”

“Oooh look I can put my little L.L. Bean wearing kids in my basket! I’m sooo continental!”[/quote]

I sure hope I’m not the only person who finds pretty much every single bike in that thread ugly as fuck.

^ Haha what the hell? They’re not made for fashion, sorry. Not everyone wants to use a dOpe tArCk bike as a substitute for a car.

Anyway, I’m car free right now because my car requires about $800 to fix it and I’m not about to drop that kind of dough for it. And that’s OK with me.