Long lasting tire

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW YOU PEOPLES CAN GO THROUGH A TIRE IN 3 MONTHS

whip skids for days

I kind of hate this thread because it makes me feel like a jackass for enjoying skidding.

Remember this phrase and all your guilt will go away, “AYHSMB”.

I think it’s skidding is stupid. I still do it occasionally, especially if the roads are wet. AYHSMB.

Remember this phrase and all your guilt will go away, “AYHSMB”.

I think it’s skidding is stupid. I still do it occasionally, especially if the roads are wet. AYHSMB.[/quote]

Stupid, but fun. AYHSMB

If you want to skid through tires because you find it fun, I am all for it. Bikes are about fun. Just be prepared to pay the stupid tax in rear tires.

AYHSMB
skid errday.
actually, i just intalled a front brake. i barely skid at all now.

one tire, a conti somethingorother, didn’t just wear down from skidding, the rubber came off in chunks. then again, it was somewhere between 5 and 20 years old.

shrug

it is p. damn fun on a wet road, though

the only times i skid is those moments when a car door opens and i hit the front brake, push my weight back and don’t think quick enough to let my legs keep moving and not lock up both wheels. i use my front brake for pretty much all of my stopping, and my legs for slowing down when i don’t need to stop. i do think skidding looks kind of cool, not really for me though.

SNOW SKIDZ WIN OVER ALL. FUCK YOU GUYS WHO DONT GET SNOW AYHSMB

Skid because it’s kinda fun, not because you actually need to stop. I’m still working on an everwear I got sometime last summer, but I don’t normally skid to stop. Most of the time I will just resist the pedals; if I’m feeling particularly lazy/tired I’ll use my brake but usually not.

Its amaizing how far some threads on here could go. I am glad we had a indeph discussion about the way we ride and what tires we use.

Thanks everyone, lots of great thougths and opinions.

shut up, you

o-ke

on my conversion i had a michelin speedium last 6 or 7 months. had 13 skid patches but was pushing 86gi so i skipped more than i skid on that. riding austin finally did it in.

on the pista i killed a zaffiro in 3 months. i dont skid a lot, but right now i only have 3 skid patches and wasnt ambidextrous so that helped ruin it faster. i didnt like that tire anyway.

i also geared down quite a bit from the conversion, and the bike is lighter so it became way easier to lock up and i just end up doing little skids all the time to control speed.

moved onto an ultrasport. rolls real nice, almost feels like the pressure is constantly too low but it isnt. skidding ambi now, and thats usually only when the light is red at the bottom of a hill. trying to break myself of the habit.

when the ultrasport dies i’ll get a panaracer ribmo.

brakeless fo lyfe

Truth. I guess the really jackass thing is complaining about ruining tires with skids.

My track bike is brakeless (well after all it is a track bike…).
I used to ride tubulars exclusively resisting/minimal skipping to adjust speed, but I was frustrated with how I needed some extra distance to slow down going down hills and felt I could go faster without this. Switched to clinchers because I felt skidding downhill to adjust speed will be less stressful. In my case I can definitely ride faster with more control using skidding as a method to adjust speed. I use Vittoria Rando’s in the rear because they are cheap and the slide/resistance is constant.
I do not live in the city and live in a kind of hilly area/commute on this bike (32mi round trip/nice days so around 15 days/month)/Rando’s last me around <3 months.
I guess if I lived in a fairly flat area I probably would stick to tubulars, but now I only put tubulars on my bike when I go out on my weekend fun rides. Also the general consensus is skidding jacks up your knees but in my case, resisting was worse on my knees than skidding to adjust speed.
Might try a RiBMO next since they are lighter/more size options (have them on my geared Crosscheck), but you really can’t beat the price of Rando’s.
*I do not use skidding to STOP. Only to adjust speed.

WTF is all this about paying ridiculous prices for tires?
just go get free used ones from your LBS

i havent paid for tires since 2007 haha

I got over 5k miles out of a Gatorskin, 3k of which was brakeless, and I skid all the time. I have no idea how yall fuck tires up so much.

im kinda over brakeless riding.

i only ever ride sans brake, and i work on my bike. but its a money pit.

skidding kills tires
slowing to a stop kills chains in the long run.

i want a road bike.