Low Flange track hubs

Brainstorming options for a eventual wheelbuild, classic style (box rims, 32h). I was thinking of doing a low flange track hub on the rear and a low flange road hub to save weight on the front (probably Ultegra). Problem is I’m trying to do this for a beater all-weather wheelset and don’t want to spring the big bucks for some Campy/Dura Ace looseball, or Phil Wood. Is anyone else putting out an LF track rear? Did Miche discontinue theirs? IRO seems to have sold out of those $30 LF hubsets they had awhile back too.

Spend the money and get Dura Ace

For an all weather front I look for NOS XT hubs .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Deore-XT-MT ... dZViewItem

On the formula hubs website, it says they make a low flange flipflop hub, but I’ve never seen it in person, or anywhere for that matter.

the bike biz has LF Miches, but I don’t know if they would only sell the rear.
http://www.thebikebiz.com/product_p/trk-hub-miche02.htm

Formula does a low flange track hub.

http://www.formulahubs.com/

The flange height on the Surly track hub is sorta intermediate between high and low flange, so that also might work for you.

dude i think i saw low flange dura ace rear hub for like $75 on ebay. that seems like a good deal to me man.

i was just gonna mention iro, but as you mentioned sold out. i picked up a pair, but theys going to the gf’s bike

To the dudes suggesting Durace… I don’t really want to be overhauling hubs every week during the winter. It rains too hard for too long in Oregon to deal with that. It’d be cool if they made a fixed hub like their road hubs where they’re looseball but really well sealed… but yeah I’d rather just deal with cartridge, replacement Enduro bearings run $5 a bearing and the lack of maintenance is worth it.

Thanks for the tip on the Formula…

you missed out man, i sold a LF flip flop formula track hub to somebody on this very website.

I was going to suggest building identical wheels with XT front disc hubs, but they’re actually pretty high-flange looking.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... px?sc=FRGL

That would still be a cool wheelset though…either wheel could serve as a the rear whenever you changed the axle spacing.

Where do you get these? Just have the shop order it for you? A search on the interwebz found a single eBay store that sells them rear 36h only, fixed/free… not exactly what I wanted. Fixed/fixed only… 32h.

Where do you get these? Just have the shop order it for you? A search on the interwebz found a single eBay store that sells them rear 36h only, fixed/free… not exactly what I wanted. Fixed/fixed only… 32h.[/quote]

Got mine on ebay. Mine was fixed/free, 36h.

this is a little OT, but what would happen if you didn’t clean/repack your loose balls hubs after a few or many rides in the rain? i’ve only packed mine once, when i bought them and haven’t touched them since. they’re still smooth enough to spin under they weight of the rim seam. am i ruining them?

Sort of depends on the brand. some of them are really well sealed and you should be okay going 6 months or so without repacking them. some of them, however, leak like seives and any sort of prolonged riding if they get super wet will probably mean needing to repack that same day, or when they dry out. I had an old Suzue track hub and I never repacked it over a yearlong period, when i finally pulled it apart there was all kinds of crap in there and lots of pitting- the hub hasn’t rolled smoothly since.

Tarckatina I’d also go for an XT front disc conversion. An xt/xt fixed all weather wheelset (especially with front disc!) would be tarck on a whole nother level. You might have a hard time finding something that uses 6bolt and is low flange; but the splined ones (pic) are definitely LF and youd just need a 6bolt adapter.

Edit: Come to think of it the splined xt disc hubs also have a funny large-diameter hollow axle. You might have a hard time getting a replacement, depending on the availability and compatibility of the xt splined/disc rear axlesx. Well itd be cool as hell and youd get mad manderprops if you could pull it off anyways.

I let my roadie chill out (err, warm out) down in my basement after a terrible snowstorm where the snow had clogged every moving part on the bike. When I took it up to do maintenance, there was rust streaks all over the front hub and rim, and when I opened it up all the bearings on one side had rusted. Apparently the water became trapped inside for quite a while and did the damage. It’s a cheap hub anyways.

i just sold a low flange durace single sided fixed hub laced to an open pro rim to a friend for $20

keep it up, deals are out there…

keep on keeping on

check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=886&p=24016

LF DA shouldn’t be much more expensive than that Miche set. I’ve got a set thats not built, but they feel nice. The miche’s would probably be a little more unique though since everyone and their mother has a DA wheelset. And if you’re considering weight, the DA low flange isn’t much lighter than the Phil. I was surprised how heavy they were.

If you can afford $300, the campy’s are beautiful, but whats the point when similar performance can be had at half the price?

[quote=“andre nickatina”]To the dudes suggesting Durace… I don’t really want to be overhauling hubs every week during the winter. It rains too hard for too long in Oregon to deal with that. It’d be cool if they made a fixed hub like their road hubs where they’re looseball but really well sealed… but yeah I’d rather just deal with cartridge, replacement Enduro bearings run $5 a bearing and the lack of maintenance is worth it.

Thanks for the tip on the Formula…[/quote]
It rains a ton and snows in DC and I rebuilt my Dura Ace hub once over the winter. It was already a super beat hub as well. If it had been new I doubt I would have had to do it. You really don’t need to worry.