Luxos U Warranty Chat

Schmidt, SP

I was looking for a budget light and nearly went for an AXA blueline with side lights, but ended up with an iq avy plus n. Bit bigger than an eyc, 40 lux, very cheap. Night time test forthcoming.

Dead battery maybe? Replacing the batteries cured my luxos. I could only find similarly sized replacements in a 10-pack, so I have enough for four more sitting on the shelf

Interesting. The standlight works for at least a few seconds so the battery is not completely dead. Will test.

1 Like

ok, will post back here if I order. Waffling a bit on nerdrack mountability of IQ-X, waiting for my friend here to receive his to see if it’s really worth 40 EUR more

The standlight on my CYO Premium has stopped working. Anyone ever successfully fixed this? I’m in DGAF mode on it at the moment. Same thing happened to the regular CYO on my roadie, never bothered fixing that either…

That sucks, If you do end up trying to fix it the super capacitor should be very easy to find since its one of the larger component on the PCB.
In this image it should be the thinner disc on the lower right below the regular electrolytic capacitor:

There is no guarantee its the super cap but its where I would start.

also if you go dicking around in there, be careful because those capacitors can really shock the hell out of you.

Several months back, my Luxos U quit turning completely off with the switch. There are two small dim lights that now always stay on, even after turning off the light/standlight with the switch. I’m guessing that they must be daytime running lights, which I honestly had no idea it came with. It’s not a big deal in the daytime, but when parked at night it I feel like it might draw unwanted attention to the bike. I also feel like I’d want to cover it with something at night while camping, cause I’m not a kid anymore and don’t want a nightlight.

I was thinking about trying to take it apart and see what happened if I disconnected them. It’s more than three years old, so I wouldn’t be super sad if I broke it.

So it turns out there’s a setting on the light that turns off the standlight. And it seems that this dumbarse here accidentally bumped the switch so the standlight was switched off… Not sure how it happened cos I hardly ever touch the switch.

[quote=Old man yells at cloud]Several months back, my Luxos U quit turning completely off with the switch. There are two small dim lights that now always stay on, even after turning off the light/standlight with the switch. I’m guessing that they must be daytime running lights, which I honestly had no idea it came with. It’s not a big deal in the daytime, but when parked at night it I feel like it might draw unwanted attention to the bike. I also feel like I’d want to cover it with something at night while camping, cause I’m not a kid anymore and don’t want a nightlight.

I was thinking about trying to take it apart and see what happened if I disconnected them. It’s more than three years old, so I wouldn’t be super sad if I broke it.[/quote]

My Luxos U switch troubles began when there was water ingress. You can carefully pry the the translucent rubber button off with a butter knife and see if there is water in there.

[quote=Lippy]
My Luxos U switch troubles began when there was water ingress. You can carefully pry the the translucent rubber button off with a butter knife and see if there is water in there.[/quote]
Good idea. I suppose it’s probably also worth just opening the whole thing up, in case water got past any other seals.

So what usb charger do you all like to run off of your dyno?
I’m a bit at sea in the options that are apparently out there:

I just want to keep an iphone reasonably well charged up, or to keep an iphone battery pack case charged.

IMO there are small enough battery backup thingies that I’d just rather use one of those than complicate the bike any more, unless you already have a Luxos or usb charging light already. Everything else seems like a kludge. Of course if you’re trying to be out without power for 2+ days, yeah it makes more sense.

Yeah I would only go with usb off dyno if you will be away from easy access to a power outlet for more than 2 days and you want a dynolight as well. Otherwise you can just buy 2 powerpacks and call it a day. The Luxos u works reasonably well for me (during 15+mph rides, if the phone is klept in airplane mode in remote areas). No idea about other options.

The Luxos was great for my other Garmin that wouldn’t last a really long ride. It wasn’t enough for phone use. Looks like the output of these things are .5A or less and modern phones really need 1A or better for reasonable charging to occur. For multi day phone survival you would need to keep it in airplane mode or off to get a decent charge out of hub.

I think the forumslader shows promise with its ability to produce some real current, it was ~175 euro for the bluetooth kit plus post plus 3x 18650s 2Y ago. I borrowed an e-werk for a trip in Japan but it didn’t seem to work that well (small wheel SP though, hooked up to cache battery). I used to have a super-i-cable but gave it away, had lots of connectors and adaptors for different phones but never tried charging a cache battery with it.

dr welby is testing an axa luxx70 plus that has 0.5A USB output built in to the light mount. ~$70

review here also, one of the few lights to get a ‘good’ rating
https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/Axa_luxx_70_plus/index_en.html

this is also an alternative at 6.5W output in full sun

I think you all are probably right, I’m not likely to do any heavy duty backcountry riding (mostly because the closest thing I have to a bikepacking rig is an Edgerunner…) any time soon, so probably a good batery pack will work for me. It’s what I do now for centuries/brevets, and it seems to work fine with Strava running the whole time.

It’s a bummer, I have a Luxos U, but I can’t get it to work. It has a USB charger running out of it.

Re: testing lights

I picked up a Herrman Black Pro, and have been using it for a couple of weeks. Nice, strong beam with a good shape. The light path shaping is indeed unconventional, but not bad, it fits into the same space on a bike as a Luxos U.
Don’t love that the mounting hardware is a little more complex than absolutely necesary, but we’ll see how well the joints hold up.

It’s on my Xtracycle, so it gets short periods of use while churning around town, no idea how well it works for hours at a time.

I’ve had no trouble getting a B&M taillight to run off of it.

Anker PowerCore 500
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CU1EC6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9lH3Ab718B938

Get one of these. $15, will last for 300 charges (or more). Less fussy than anything on the market rn

Edit:I have the 3340mah and I get 2-3 full phone charges