majik gearz?

Who has run a fixed or ss drivetrain with a magic gear, half link, etc…? Did it work out ok or was it a total asspain? Any tips?

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums//attac ... 1189540866

ghost ring

ghost rings look like bad news. i know you arent talking bout this tarckee, but i would much rather go for a tensioner before a ghost ring.

ghost rings are badass

Did you really quote yourself in your own signature?

I know people who run half links no probably. I plan on putting on a shadow chain soon nothing but half links=bombproof

on your tarck? seriously?

i dont see a problem with it other than weight i guess, and it being overkill.

also ghost rings are abotu as good as it it gets tensioner wise, you can dial in really exact tension, you can run it in a fixed driivetrain without worries, no moving parts or anything to break, they dont pop off easy either if you use em right cause thye always spin exactly with the chainline.

try one out, theyre pretty funky

that was pretty much my point. full half link chains really have no added benefits unless you really beat the shit out of your bike. and yes, added weight

on your tarck? seriously?[/quote]
on my beater yes.

I have a fixed mountain bike for winter riding with 44/18 magick. Works fine on any frame but the gearing is going to be a compromise. Chain wear will make your chain slack rreeeeaaalllyyy soon unless you file a flat on one side of the axle, which is plenty enough for tightness adjustment when the chain wears.

I have a magic gear that required a half link. Okay, but it forces me to change chains more frequently and/or ride with loose chain as it stretches (=wears, don’t start the old flamewar).

I tried a ghost ring but it kept falling out. Chain is 1/8 ghost ring was 3/32 and there’s not enough room at the chainstays to put in a big ghostring that would be more stable. If there was, I’d put one in for the freak factor alone, let alone a tauter chain. Also, for my 16-18t cogs a 24ish ghost ring would be about right. Where do you get a 24t 1/8 cog/chinring? I don’t think there is one. 32t would look ugly.

Oh wow, I just saw the ghost ring and that shit is scary as fuck… no way I would run that.

magic gearing is ok, but if you use a brand new chain once it wears in a little bit the chain will become slack. Just something to keep in mind.

If I’d said something that monumental, you can be sure I’d have it in my own sig, too. Unfortunately, we can’t all provide such insight.

Oh, and that pic of a ghost ring made me cringe a bit… looks like way more trouble than it’d be worth, but y’know, whatever.

i ran one of those shadow half-link chains. it was the noisiest piece of shit. and it stretched way more that any other chain i’ve had in a shorter time. i couldn’t believe how much it stretched. i through an izumi on and OMG, i had forgotten how quiet a bike can be.

I have always run a magic gear on my polo bike. 33/17 33/16 33/18 34/17 34/18. I have been able to run all of these gears through the use of half links. I do not have a lot of space in my drop outs so it has never been perfect but I have never had an issue with it.

I ran magic gears on my old Klein mtb when I was trying out fixed/SS. It worked well enough, but I was replacing chains every couple hundred miles to maintain tension. I was using cheap Bell chains from Wal-Mart, which worked well at $5 each at the time (they’re nearly $7 now).

Chris

Thanks, everyone.

I already have a tensioner, but it’s a shitty one. I can always fall back on that though.

Do big ring/cog combos work better for this? It seems like there would be more room for slop that way since there’s more engagement of the chain.

[quote=“lofarkas”]I have a magic gear that required a half link. Okay, but it forces me to change chains more frequently and/or ride with loose chain as it stretches (=wears, don’t start the old flamewar).

I tried a ghost ring but it kept falling out. Chain is 1/8 ghost ring was 3/32 and there’s not enough room at the chainstays to put in a big ghostring that would be more stable. If there was, I’d put one in for the freak factor alone, let alone a tauter chain. Also, for my 16-18t cogs a 24ish ghost ring would be about right. Where do you get a 24t 1/8 cog/chinring? I don’t think there is one. 32t would look ugly.[/quote]

http://www.danscomp.com/458092.php?cat=PARTS
Thats a super thin 25tooth bmx chainring.

Also the guy who said something about the shadow chain streching which gen was is? The 1st gens were notoriously bad for it but the new revised editions are tons better.