Metal or plastic toe clips

ftfy

i just went for a ride today on my clipless bike for the first time in months and i couldnt disagree more. my feet were twisting around all over the place for some reason, probably mostly b/c i’m used to being cinched in pretty tight on the longer rides. admittedly, longer in this context is like 15 20 miles

sure clipless has its benefits, but that doesnt mean that clips should be deemed vastly inferior or strictly for ‘fashion.’

i actually know a lot of older touring folks who have been riding for quite some time that prefer clips over clipless

or no clips over anything else

sure clipless has its benefits, but that doesnt mean that clips should be deemed vastly inferior or strictly for ‘fashion.’

i actually know a lot of older touring folks who have been riding for quite some time that prefer clips over clipless[/quote]

That’s only because they have been drinking Grant Peterson’s special Kool-aid.

i use clip and strap on moderate distances and shopping rides. i like being able to walk around when i get where i’m going./

Whatever works and looks good, as long as it’s installed correctly, the right size, and not made of aluminum.

i like the sun gleaming off my polished clips in the morning.

i like the looks of the double strap plastic clips. bout time they came out with those shits

i had plastic clips but after while they broke where thy screw in, i also had crappy pedals and straps. i’m enjoying this setup alot now. i also try to pull up on them when i pedal and i don’t have float issues.

i actually know a lot of older touring folks who have been riding for quite some time that prefer clips over clipless[/quote]

Probably, I should have put a larger disclaimer on that. Clips and straps are fine and some people make 'em work for more serious distances. Hell, they even have some advantages. It’s just that I have relegated them to short ride duty for myself,

That’s kinda what got me started on this, I saw the pics of the Starfuckers quad-gate plastic clips a few weeks ago, they look just like those black ones on the first page.

if you’re concerned with the way your bike looks to the point of worrying about scratching your clips, i really hope you drop your hard earned unemployment check cash on those beige plastic clips on the right… absolutely beautiful!!!

hes not worried how they look, hes worried about the sound it makes when it scrapes

I have plastic clips and double leather straps on my FG and I like 'em just fine. I have a set of metal clips for whenever these plastic ones break, but in the meantime I’m in no hurry to change.

I have clipless Speedplay pedals on my road bike and really don’t like them all that much. Sure, it’s cool that you can pull up on the pedals and all that, but I find them harder to get in & out of that my clips, and the float, while I guess nice, has basically no resistance so unlike my clips I never feel quite as “locked in”. Plus I get some knee pain in one leg with my clipless, whereas I get none with my clips.

Obviously sounds like I need to do some adjusting, but for me, the clips are just a lot simpler and effective. Oh, and I freakin’ hate having to deal with special shoes for riding a fucking bike. That’s just stupid IMHO, even if it is somehow vaguely “more efficient”. Maybe in terms of pedaling, but definitely not at all in terms of having a efficient means of practical, day-to-day transportation where you’re running errands, going to dinner or a bar, etc. Goofy ass shoes are FTL in those circumstances.

I’m really not worried about scratching them. I don’t know why I even said that, I really just wanted to know what people prefer. I like the look of the SF ones.

I guess my wording was just wrong, but I do hate that sound! It’s like nails on a chalkboard to me, maybe it’s just me.

Whatever is on the pedals or the bike is what I use. I’m not picky.

This.

One of my favorite things about shiny toe clips.

I only use them on my daily rider which doesn’t get a lot of long rides, just a lot of short jaunts around town. If it does go long, it gets the SPD-SLs.

I swap my pedals from clips to clipless probably twice a week. Clips give me a sense of freedom and comfort in that I don’t worry about wearing down the soles of my shoes. And if I need to walk half a mile? No problem. Then I throw the atacs back on. Suddenly me and the bike are just one piece. I’m more comfortable throwing it around in traffic and sprinting to change lanes. I get across town with noticibly less effort. Though much of it may be the reduced stress from not having to clench my feet or worry about pulling out. I don’t like to get my straps super tight, so that I have to loosen them to get out. It’s pointless because it’s basically just like riding clipless but they’re more difficult to get out of and I’m wearing with really flexy shoes.

But back to the topic, I said I’d rather ride steel clips, but I feel more strongly about what I won’t ride:
a) plastic “road” clips. The smaller ones that have a single piece coming up over the laces. The mtb ones are better because they’re wider across the top of the foot and beefier in general.
b) Single straps with steel road clips. I made a pair of doublers this summer and I don’t see a reason to ever ride with single straps again.

Hey josh, I’ll send you some pre-scratched single gate steel clips for free if you want em.