Mig muses on 2 wheels

c2, c3, d3 are my picks. could get into a fade with e3/b4 or e5/d4

Ok, let stalk spendbleed

3 Likes

It looks like speedblend were made for 36h rims (16+8 patches). I’m planning on using 24h rims, should I paint them (12+6 patches)?

Edit: this is fun

if you’re painting the rims, yeah seems like it would be real smart to use the spoke holes to indicate the divisions when masking, but the valve hole is still in question

and for 28h rims 14+7 seems extra challenging

like would need to choose a dominant color to have 4 patches of on the wider half unequally?

28 holes is 7 of 4 colors, so that’s easy.

That said, dividing up the rim by powers of 2 is the right decision no matter what spokes you have because then you always end up with an even number of divisions and halving is easy.

1 Like

I’m curious as to how the length and spacing comes into play visually, per the photo and :smilegrant:

Maybe start with electrical taping on an existing rim to check the blend at speed?

2 Likes

why are we painting the rims and not the tires

so the speed at which the regions blend is a factor of their length and interval, right? but with the arrangement in the patent the four speeds are exponential with the largest being 8x of the smallest. so if you have 6mph and 48mph as the upper and lower indicator bounds, you then determine the rpm at each based on the outer tire diameter? it feels like there’s an element of human optical perception in play also
Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 10.40.29 am

2 Likes

Because I’m not going to show up looking like a normie with my standard finish pub rims

Pretty sure @crowding might have some insight to this.

Flicker fusion frequency will also be affected by the color contrast. If you have contrast between light vs dark colors you’ll see flicker up to like 60 Hz. Between stripes of different colors that are about the same brightness, you’ll have fusion at more like 25 Hz

it also might be cool to play with adding some edging on the dire or fender to make some motion effects like this

rotating circles illusion

11 Likes

that is hurting my brain!

3 Likes

He he you said edging.

2 Likes

Tires are expensive! Carbon rims are cheap!

13 Likes

Carbon rims literally 1/4 the price of tires

It kind of stresses me out that I only bought four rims I have no plans for.

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes