Miguel's fat-tired fopmobile

heres where i need to type things and flush out ideas:
desired forks for classic rando bikes with rim brakes are generally more boingy which is good for comfort
disc brake forks are generally more stiff to handle the braking force
is anyone making a boingy disc brake fork?

Data point.

On my Straggler with SLX hydros I get a fair amount of visible deflection under hard braking. I would guess that the NFE fork is probably one of the more compliant steel forks in the wild.

@BBILL what fork blades?

I’d like to see some measurements on what axes the jeff jones forks are stiff in.

mine are these: http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/NOVA-CRMO-ROAD-OVAL-0.9-0.6-NOV_CXFB_OVL_0.9.html

I heard something about a third 25.4 oval option besides those and the tandem chainstays, so might be something else now

dammit, i just found the thread on VS

[quote]
NOVA CRMO ROAD 25.4 OVAL 0.9/0.6 :: FORK BLADES :: TUBES STEEL :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

they're the traditional road butting, but very slightly oversized in the oval section to fit an odd fork crown: NOVA CYCLE X FORK CROWN "old school" 70mm width [/quote]

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]heres where i need to type things and flush out ideas:
desired forks for classic rando bikes with rim brakes are generally more boingy which is good for comfort[/quote]

nobody but Jan acolytes are actually underbuilding forks for flexibility

and they only get “french curve flex” by using special blades that immediately taper down to a tiny round tube

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]disc brake forks are generally more stiff to handle the braking force
is anyone making a boingy disc brake fork?[/quote]

some disc forks are overbuilt enough not to move, but most feel perfectly normal

you can get a LAUF if you wanna go full fop

A while back I was thinking a floating disc mount would possibly be good for this application (i.e. Brake Therapy).

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]
is anyone making a boingy disc brake fork?[/quote]

The only boingy fork legs would unrake with a disc mount short enough to allow boingage, You can run a longer mount to reinforce them which then takes the boing out of your left leg, and then you still might bend the fork leg outwards.

If you really want to go hovercar the solution is probably a floating brake arm that mounts well up in the larger section of the fork blade.

If you need boing, design in the tire clearance to run 50s.

[quote=JUGE FREDD]

you can get a LAUF if you wanna go full fop[/quote]

Yes. Go ham or go home.

ok, i have a couple questions pointed in the direction of braden, fred, and resident fbs(eric, etc):

what makes a bike accelerate fast? when im reading a review of

and the reviewer says “it accelerates quickly” how does that apply?

also, bike above has a 140mm stem and has a single 5mm spacer (reviewer says “long and low”) does that play into it?

It is a bike review. You can only really say 3 or 4 things.

But is it stiff?

vertically compliant?

its a bike review. its pretty much guaranteed to be a load of shit

that said, my crabon bike deffos feels like it goes faster in a straight line but im pretty positive its just coz the bb doesnt flex around as much as on a steel frame combined with how the road vibrations feel thru the biek and how the crabon dampens them.

Geometry is weird shit. I know some people understand it and I believe that it is understandeable but its just like magic to me sometimes. I have this old 80s mtb frame set up as a singlespeed with cruiser bars and a 150mm stem and it dives into turns so confidently, like nothing I have ever ridden. Why? I don’t know or really care. Some bikes just do stuff better/different than other bikes.

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]what makes a bike accelerate fast? when im reading a review of
[/quote]

basically the bike i posted up there amirite

Shouldn’t the biggest factor in perceived acceleration be in the wheels?

Otherwise I’m with dorth and John. Frames feel different, and I usually feel faster on bikes that are stiff around the bb (but I’m not convinced I’m actually faster in those cases).

If you are reading this thread will you please post your favorite French fit Rando?
Kthx