Miguel's fat-tired fopmobile

[quote=mdilthey]1. There’s a trick you can do with your hands. If the bead won’t go on the rim at 12:00, put your hands at 6:00 on the opposite side and start “stretching” the tire with both hands. Go all the way around the tire until your hands meet in the middle at 12:00 and you should have another millimeter or two of tire there to get the bead over the rim.

1. You can use multiple tire levers spaced ~1 inch apart to get a stubborn bead over the edge. I carry three.

2. If you’re on the trail, survival instincts and adrenaline will get you the extra force you need to get rolling again.[/quote]
    I also carry three, alloy. Scratched rims is my least worry.

[quote=NOVELTYNAME][quote=Face]
Try diluted dish soap to help the tire over the rim.[/quote]
diluted soap on the inside of the tire bead and on the rim?[/quote]

Put the slippery stuff where there’s excessive friction.

If you’re planning to use road-ish pressures it’s a good idea

especially if you need to drop a tube in it, the pressure from that can split a single layer of tape[/quote]

Good to know, thanks.

can we talk about tape and valve interface? i have stans valves. I wouldnt say that the tape is split very far but it is split down the rim at least 2-4mm from the valve when it’s tightened. now, i dont have the tire even mounted yet but i want to know if this is going to be an issue

You probably shouldn’t be seeing split tape. Make the hole small and poke the valve through.

I usually take a nail in some pliers and heat it up then melt a hole slightly smaller than the valve stem. I insert the stem and use it to do the final stretching.

^solid advice. I haven’t been heating anything up lately and it’s been fine.

Shop does this

My personal strategy is to poke a much-too-small hole and then slowly and carefully push the valve in, stretching the hole out so that it fits flush with the rubber base. God, what a sentence.

There are whole subreddits for that.

It will.
I use a hot, sharpened spoke to poke/melt the hole.

Will an 11-42 work on a double? Shimano says no

I don’t see why not? I have a 11-36 - 52x39 collabo and it’s not even close to unhappy. Long cage derangler.

Roadlink

Tan Pan and mtb dangler. Works just fine.

If you’re running a 10 speed drivetrain, you can use a 9 speed MTB dangler and it’s also fine.

Depends on what the other bits are. I don’t think a 42 would work on my 11 speed shimano drivetrain. The 36 works but it gets weird in that gear. B-screw just barely does the job. And I only have a 46-33 up front.

I got 11-40, thanks for the input dudes

Are there any droppers with road amounts of setback?

Is this where we tell you again to buy the Open?

No it’s where you can grovel for asking about 28h 650b rims months after you chided me for asking about them

:drama:

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]No it’s where you can grovel for asking about 28h 650b rims months after you chided me for asking about them

:drama:[/quote]

What on earth does that mean?