More power babies! (as requested by turp)

Quarq, power2max

2 Likes

This.

I’ve sold lots of Quarq units and have been running one personally for the last 3 or 4 years. D-zero is excellent.

I’ve procured several used P2M units and have had zero issues with them.

The Rotor inspider is really good too (made by P2M I hear, but not sure) and is rechargeable which is nice.

1 Like

If i was gonna roll the dice on a spider unit, would prob go p2m. Unless you already have removable spider sram cranks, then get a quarq.

2 Likes

I currently have some rotor arms that need a spider and another complete crank set I need to acquire

Apparently Shimano still cannot make an accurate power meter:

Which comes as a surprise to approximately nobody that understand strain gauges and their application to power meters. The design of their crankset inherently precludes them from attaching a power meter to it and achieving any kind of accuracy.

Yeah, theoretically the new crank design is more symmetric to help with that issue but apparently not enough.

the change to make it symmetrical was probably good, but they might have messed up the strain gauge orientation: Shimano's Marketing might have let slip a critical flaw - YouTube

I keep hoping GPlama will get into the power meter game. I find him about as insufferable as PVD.

My ftp is now 243

4 Likes

What’s your weight in non freedom units?

92kg

1 Like

Watts per kg is the measure to use if you want to see where you fit, but I imagine you are mostly interested in bumping that number over time. I don’t have zwift account at all but a buddy said the other day that he was able to do ftp tests for a long time, on his expired trial version.

You can also tune watts per kilo on free tier noom. Be aware that it can segue into a low key eating disorder. But, i lost ten kilos this spring for $0, a lot cheaper than getting a ten kilos lighter bike, from 190ish to 170ish. A big buddy dropped 20 kilos (!) on paid noom. From like 220 down to 180.

2 Likes

they give you 25 km every month so if you only go up hill, you could make it last a bit!

1 Like

I pay for zwift. I do 2-3 rides a week because it’s hard to ride after work where I am located.

I could probably drop another 10 lbs (down from 260 to 200), but then people start asking if I have cancer. Right now, I’m on the bubble for the Clydesdale category, which is good/bad.

2 Likes

do a 6 week training block, then redo the FTP test.

as other said, use w/kg as a measurement as if you do lose weight, you might not see the number go up as much, but it’ll still be a gain and you’ll climb faster. so you’re at 2.64 w/kg now - by spring you can probably get close to 3.0 w/kg or higher after some good aerobic base + some threshold training.

1 Like

I started the beginner for a few weeks and it was way too easy so I switched to a 6wk ftp builder. Yesterday was my first test after (2?) sessions on the new plan.

Goal is to get down to ~82kg by May. I think I have to quit drinking.
Edit drinking beer
I love tequila

1 Like

I really enjoyed this podcast with Dan Bigham who just broke the world hour record. I love it when people talk about aero and power like this. Some amazing insights in this podcast. Particularly the bit where he talks down how hard the hours is. Like he said, people do “hours” every weekend. It’s a massive part of UK TT culture, the 40 km TT. His response to, " what will happen when someone who makes 100 more watts than you do, and applies what you have learnt" was also very interesting. I’m pretty sure his team rider Phillips Ganna wants a crack.

1 Like