More power babies! (as requested by turp)

my gym has some peloton bikes now so i guess i have access to power. do they have workouts built in there that don’t involve me being yelled at by a peppy person?

I think getting yelled at by a peppy person is literally the Peloton business model, so I doubt it.

3 Likes

Peloton bikes do not have power meters

Also afaik no peloton bikes are rated for commercial use so they shouldn’t be in gyms unless the gym wants to get sued when a pedal breaks off.

oh i really thought they had power meters. is it just estimated??

yeah I think they just have a known resistance curve

You could do a spin class and get the full sweaty club experience, too!

no absolutely not

this is dreadful news

maybe the newer ones have something closer to a power meter inside?

Ah, hadn’t really followed along on that one. Looks like it has an electronic brake unit so much higher chance of close to real power, if they compensate for temperature correctly (those things get hot).

The old ones used an estimation based on resistance, but when applying resistance mechanically with a knob, you can end up with a lot of variability between bikes.

2 Likes

ok well that’s close enough for me and i guess as long as i always use the same one that will help. thanks

“Known”
I’ve compared resistance based power estimated to power meter based estimates and.lets just say that the one that does a stress/strain calculation is more accurate.

Is that they have? Peloton Bike+?

That dc rainmaker artical says they don’t broadcast ant+ or bluetooth power.

Just sharing this here cos it’s where it should live, but bear in mind that it’s at least 17 years old and the definition of FTP back then was 60 minutes power.

1 Like

Also, two years of covid lockdown has produced 4 w/kg Cat 5s

4 Likes

Yeah, cheap power meters plus cheap/free automated coaching programs have also escalated that arms race eh? I am positive it’s easier to get swole fast now than it ever has been.

1 Like

Came here to talk about this

A weird little muscle on my knee showed up, from the front it would be at 7pm on my right or 5pm on my left. I’ve never seen these muscles before.

1 Like

Don’t get too swole! It will effect your CDA! I don’t think Filipo Ganna is going to break the hour record due to his swole-ways.

1 Like

I know so many strong cat 3s & 4s. Not fast, but strong. And they have absolutely no pack riding or handling skills. And they dumb, too.

3 Likes

Eh, Coggan will tell you that FTP has always been a surrogate for MLSS. He and Hunter Allen directly contradict each other in the first version of TRWPM.