Mr. Dilthey's own thread for posting jackass bikes that he likes.

too small bike with rustystack and slammed forward saddle = bruh you need a custom Serotta

Seriously, this guy could have his pick of any number of gently used dentist bikes with 58 seattube, 55 toptube.

HY, tell me why I’m wrong, useful AND funny.

Clear case of someone that doesn’t ride very much and hasn’t adapted to it.

I never think about the fit stuff, my eye isn’t good enough yet. I always look at components, frames, tires, wheels, etc. For those reasons that Surly gets a HY from me but I see what you mean about the position.

I will still slightly defend my goofy-as-fuck-fit on my own bike, though. Gotta know what the rider’s proportions are. My brother Harrison is coming to look at bikes today - he’s 6’5" and his waist and my waist (6.0") are in basically the same place. I’m a fucking grasshopper. So my seat looks like that (slightly farther back).

[quote=mdilthey]I never think about the fit stuff, my eye isn’t good enough yet. I always look at components, frames, tires, wheels, etc. For those reasons that Surly gets a HY from me but I see what you mean about the position.

I will still slightly defend my goofy-as-fuck-fit on my own bike, though. Gotta know what the rider’s proportions are. My brother Harrison is coming to look at bikes today - he’s 6’5" and his waist and my waist (6.0") are in basically the same place. I’m a fucking grasshopper. So my seat looks like that (slightly farther back).[/quote]

FTFY, also nope.

I can spot a good fit from across the Internet. I don’t need to see the rider.

[quote=mdilthey]Actually, I kinda like this idea.

[/quote]

Those are basically just Michelin Jet’s, right? I used to run those on my MTB at 45psi in the late 90’s

Honestly that’s like 90% of what I judge on bike photos at this point… Whatever frame & meh components in more-or-less the right place on a rig that has contact points dialed for hard riding is infinitely more BA to me at this stage then a blinged out whatever-the-fuck with saddle slammed forward and f’d up hoods.

Very on trend

Single speed + cable dicks

why

[quote=ShartAttack]Single speed + cable dicks

why[/quote]

That’s a Rolhoff, but you also just described all of my bikes.

[quote=ShartAttack]cable dicks

why[/quote]

field reparibility when you’re 300k deep in the Serengeti and your satphone doesn’t work.

[quote=ShartAttack]Single speed + cable dicks

why[/quote]
Are you saying why either or why both? Like should get gears and hydro or that SS and cable together makes no sense?

Because honestly if you’re out in the middle of fucking nowhere why not ss and cable? If you’re with a huge group or on a scheduled ‘race/ride’ but if you’re just out doing fireroad touring mostly alone I get trying to eliminate failure points.

[quote=Straws][quote=ShartAttack]Single speed + cable dicks

why[/quote]
Are you saying why either or why both? Like should get gears and hydro or that SS and cable together makes no sense?

Because honestly if you’re out in the middle of fucking nowhere why not ss and cable? If you’re with a huge group or on a scheduled ‘race/ride’ but if you’re just out doing fireroad touring mostly alone I get trying to eliminate failure points.[/quote]
After another disastrous ride on my wife’s bike on Sunday I am throwing the hydro discs away and replacing with cable. She rides once every year if I am lucky and the brakes always come into the bars or drag so much that I have to pedal downhill. Not worth it for that amount of random riding.

What brakes?

TBH I see way more little problems with cheap mechanical discs than I do with basic Shimano wet brakes. I’m sure it happens but I have never actually seen a failure of a cheap Shimano hydro brake first hand.

Oh lol I see the rohloff grip shifter now. Slightly more acceptable.

I don’t really get why people think cable brakes are more reliable than hydro brakes. You don’t see guys riding motorcycles through Africa replacing their big hydro brakes with cable-operated drums. I don’t think that Shimano brakes are any less reliable than hydraulic discs in any other application.

[quote=ShartAttack]Oh lol I see the rohloff grip shifter now. Slightly more acceptable.

I don’t really get why people think cable brakes are more reliable than hydro brakes. You don’t see guys riding motorcycles through Africa replacing their big hydro brakes with cable-operated drums. I don’t think that Shimano brakes are any less reliable than hydraulic discs in any other application.[/quote]

I don’t know if that’s the best example, since a BMW Touring bike weighs 500lbs. Hard to stop.

For me it’s a little more practical than that. I carry a spare brake cable and that weighs an ounce? And that means I can replace either cable if anything happens (like getting my housing caught in a crash or something). I can fiddle with a disc brake myself, quite easily, and I run a low risk of fucking anything up. Hydros are much more finicky. If you’re trying to make adjustments or fix something, they’re much more well-behaved in a shop environment or a basement than a ditch on the side of the road.

But honestly I think the #1 reason I ride SS/cable dicks is because it’s simple, and that makes me happy, and I cannot really articulate why. But when I’m riding, all I’m thinking about is the next root, the next turn, the next road. I like it.

I love gears because I don’t have to think about any of this. Ever.

[quote=ShartAttack]
I don’t really get why people think cable brakes are more reliable than hydro brakes. [/quote]

I don’t know that anyone thinks they’re more reliable, it’s that they’re field repairable. If I’m doing a bike tour where I’m going to be away from a bike shop for the majority of it, I bring a spare brake cable, shifter cable, and a short length of chain to replace if it fails. I have literally never in all my years of cycling had a brake cable fail, but meh, peace of mind is nice when you’ve got a trip you’ve been planning for 6+ months that will just straight up end if you find yourself without a front brake.

You can carry replacement parts for hydro. It wouldn’t be hard to carry a fluid injector, pre-cut and capped hoses, and the rest of it, all neatly coiled along the inside of a frame bag. For that matter, do people carry extra rotors? What if you crash and can’t un-bend a borked rotor? If I were riding across the Gobi desert or something, I’d be carrying replacement everythings. If I’m doofing around twenty miles outside of town and my bike breaks, my repair option is probably to call Lyft and sort it out later.

Hydro isn’t some weird experimental technology. It’s been the standard for everything with wheels except road and touring bicycles for a million years. The whole BUT FIELD REPAIR mentality confuses me - the thing is that they just don’t break that much, and neither do cable brakes. I have had one brake cable fail on me, and I’ve had one rim brake caliper arm crack. Based on those failure rates, I should be carrying entire brake systems every time I ride.