Mr. Dilthey's own thread for posting jackass bikes that he likes.

You must surely see a difference between finding room for a fluid injector, pre-cut and capped hoses, a container of hydraulic brake fluid and finding room for;

also fluid is messy

I went with cables on my coupled hardtail. With compressionless bmx housing for the rear it gives me most of it (bb7s still lack some of the power that hydros are putting out today, but that’s an unfair comparison to 4pot guides). I’ve never really had to fiddle with my wet brakes, but it’s nice knowing that I can make pretty much every adjustment on the bike with the s&s spanner, a multitool, and a shock pump

IMO cable brakes are necessary for coupled bikes. cleaner, idiot & tsa proof.

For coupled bikes cabled disc make sense. My point is that 1. Hydro isn’t going to randomly break, and most people aren’t trekking to the south pole. We are mostly goofing around in the woods out back of town. 2. If you’re going to catastrophize and carry spare parts, why stop at a cable? As I noted, I’ve broken as many brake caliper arms as cables…

If I were being seriously serious about carrying spare hydro disc supplies, then I’d say no, it wouldn’t take up much space. A reservoir / injector is about the size of two clif bars packed right, and precut and capped hoses could be tucked along the inner edges of a bag, disappearing into the lining for all intents and purposes. If you’re using DOT fluid, than damn, I dunno, do Tyvek clean suits pack down small?

Well yeah, DOT fluid = SRAM = nonstarter, for this conversation.

Worst case Ontario you lose one brake you the likelihood of losing both is… could swap the back to the front, protect the extra hose length and avoid consumption by wolves.

poncho tarp atmo

Sure, or you could just use mechanical dicks and carry an even more compact loop of steel cable and be done with it.

As for carrying spare brake calipers, I wouldn’t do that because it takes up too much space and weight, so it’s a calculated risk that most people take when viewed against the impracticality of carrying a spare set of brake calipers. Carrying a length of steel cable is more or less without cost in terms of weight/space capacity on the other hand.

Mechanical brakes work fine and it’s an added bonus that they’re easy to service with very limited tools. I honestly don’t really understand what your objection even is. Nobody is trying to take away your hydraulic brakes

Sure, or you could just use mechanical dicks and carry an even more compact loop of steel cable and be done with it.

As for carrying spare brake calipers, I wouldn’t do that because it takes up too much space and weight, so it’s a calculated risk that most people take when viewed against the impracticality of carrying a spare set of brake calipers. Carrying a length of steel cable is more or less without cost in terms of weight/space capacity on the other hand.

Mechanical brakes work fine and it’s an added bonus that they’re easy to service with very limited tools. I honestly don’t really understand what your objection even is. Nobody is trying to take away your hydraulic brakes[/quote]

The image of someone sitting in the woods with a headlamp trying to bleed hydraulic brakes is hilarious

Man, you guys sure like planning for things that are very likely never going to happen.

It’s probably smart to carry an extra set of handlebars too. I’ve bent a set in a crash before.

I’ve had several bike rides where I didn’t flat, guess everyone should leave their tubes at home while we construct ridiculous straw man arguments.

Sometimes I’m not hungry. Guess I should stop buying food.

see the first line of my post that you quoted.

I’ve started bringing extra brake pads when I tour because I wear through those pretty quickly.

And the spare spokes and brake/shifter cables are my offerings to the gods of luck to make sure I never break those on the road.

see the first line of my post that you quoted.[/quote]

That mechanical disc brakes make sense for coupled bikes?

Oh, ok then.

No coupled bike talk in Mr. Dilthey’s bike thread. Unless it’s a Ritchey.

I’ve had several bike rides where I didn’t flat, guess everyone should leave their tubes at home while we construct ridiculous straw man arguments.[/quote]
I’ve broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals and chainrings. Guess I should carry spares of those on every ride?

[quote=Rusty Piton]
I’ve broken crankarms, bottom brackets, pedals, disc brake calipers, SHITTY SRAM ROAD SHIFTERS AND MOUNTAIN SHIFTERS, a half dozen spokes, fubar’d tires, taco’d rims and severely bent chainrings. [/quote]
ftfm

The word filter formatting claims a new victim :bear: