MTB Race, 2010

Who’s doing Dark Horse 40? Besides me…Anybodys?

ray, to answer your question here instead of the post a picture thread…

this was the chippewa valley firecracker - a part of the wisconsin off road series.

my first time racing with the elite field… finished 34 out of 70 starters/60 finishers. was one of 2 ss in the race - other guy beat me… and has a pro license. it was 30 miles and hurt really bad - my back was killing me!

p.s. i got the light mount - thanks a lot! you have to pm me a paypal or i’ll have to think of some other way to repay you and i’m not that creative.

Mid Pack finish in a elite geared field on a full rigid ss? Wut?
:bear: :bear: :bear:

Hell yes, back pain and MTBs. !!!111!!!

Daughter on top step, MTB first time woman’s field of two.

Father Daughter bike race day!

^awesome.

a week late, but… last sunday i went up to copper harbor michigan for their fat tire festival. epic trails were epic. did the 28 mile race and was 8th overall out of about 150 and 2nd single speed.

i pushed hard in the beginning and was the 4th off the pavement climb into the dirt, then i was 5th, then 6th, then 7th towards the end of the second lap. i really wasn’t expecting to see any ss’ers when i heard on your left and was passing by some dude on a ss. i jumped after him and dropped the 2 guys i was with, but he still disappeared up the trail. rigid fork on the gnarly downhills didn’t help…

dude that beat me was a monster from canadia… probably had 100 lbs on me.

Not smiling
http://ianmurrayphoto.zenfolio.com/p642989063/h34f712#he1766ee

FHY!

Single speed dudes schooling the geared folk!
:bear: :bear: :bear:

Landmine Classic, 26mile MTB Race Crunchy New England single track, relatively flat, a few rollers.

I went out slow and picked it up as the race wore on. @ around 15 miles I started reeling in some of the slower riders in the 40 to 49 group as well as some of the youngsters 40 and under. I spent little time following riders I overtook, calling out the pass as soon as I could, then channeled Jens, saying to myself I need to make them hurt if they want to stay with me. The last 8 miles or so was a blur of babby heads, burning guads and screaming lower back!

Best Day Ever!

results 2:34:20, 24/46, 40-49 Cat 2.
54 minutes faster then last year(oh the rain) and 35 minutes faster then 2007.

ddytdy, you race for geekhouse right?

do you know scott at geekhouse? I just met him and we did a couple rides together. He’s gonna help train me to get moar fastr.

I don’t know Scott yet,

Where you at?
Badassvillle?

[quote=DDYTDY]I don’t know Scott yet,

Where you at?
Badassvillle?[/quote]

san diego.
scott is originally from boston, but moved over to the other coast.
he’s an engineer, also. not the main fab guy (whose name I forget)

it was weird because tarck was tal king about geekhouse and then I see his email addy at geekhousebikes and whatnot. his friend had a rad geekhouse belt driven tarckbike. was super sillyified. i wanted to ride it

I get a kick out of how small our (cycling) world is!
:bear:

Vermont 50

I was 29 out of 109, 45+ masters (84 finished) and 291 out of 670 finishers overall. 1:40:00 faster then '08 and around 5 hours faster then 09. They all seem like the most painful race ever but this, this was the most painful eva…

http://www.vermont50.com/html/2010_mt_bike_results.html

Lower back pain came early. At times it was almost unbearable. I was seriously considering giving up till a saw a dude up ahead pushing his bike.

I thinks to my self, “that can’t be Rj, he’s 5 minutes in front of me”… Dude got back on the bike and I think, “he descends like Rj”? WTF? I caught my arch rival and friend. Now I have to finish.

It was all in the bike. 20.5 lbs hardtail with a very low profile nobbed, weight weenie, front tire and a SL semislick, Stan’s Crow on the back . Super fast on the dirt roads and hard pack.

The rear had no braking bite on some of the loose powdery stuff but enough hookup to clean the first big climb ('cept for a few feet where I guy bobbled in front of me)

100 oz of water with salt, 6 espresso luv gu’s and a bag of majic jelly belly beans is all that got me through. I had an insulated bottle of frozen cytomax for the last part of the race but when I needed it I looked down to discover it was gone.

In the last 2 miles I totally bonked. got off the bike and was resting my head on the seat when a Dark Horse guy came up and told me it was done, just GET BACK ON YOUR BIKE. He gave me a mini cliff bar that saved my life…

loving ddytdy’s race reports.

I’m torn between krosstoberfest in san dimas, or the 50 mile MTB marathon by racers and chasers. Would rather do the cross race cos my family can come watch.

[quote=DDYTDY]Vermont 50

I was 29 out of 109, 45+ masters (84 finished) and 291 out of 670 finishers overall. 1:40:00 faster then '08 and around 5 hours faster then 09. They all seem like the most painful race ever but this, this was the most painful eva…

http://www.vermont50.com/html/2010_mt_bike_results.html

Lower back pain came early. At times it was almost unbearable. I was seriously considering giving up till a saw a dude up ahead pushing his bike.

I thinks to my self, “that can’t be Rj, he’s 5 minutes in front of me”… Dude got back on the bike and I think, “he descends like Rj”? WTF? I caught my arch rival and friend. Now I have to finish.

It was all in the bike. 20.5 lbs hardtail with a very low profile nobbed, weight weenie, front tire and a SL semislick, Stan’s Crow on the back . Super fast on the dirt roads and hard pack.

The rear had no braking bite on some of the loose powdery stuff but enough hookup to clean the first big climb ('cept for a few feet where I guy bobbled in front of me)

100 oz of water with salt, 6 espresso luv gu’s and a bag of majic jelly belly beans is all that got me through. I had an insulated bottle of frozen cytomax for the last part of the race but when I needed it I looked down to discover it was gone.

In the last 2 miles I totally bonked. got off the bike and was resting my head on the seat when a Dark Horse guy came up and told me it was done, just GET BACK ON YOUR BIKE. He gave me a mini cliff bar that saved my life…[/quote]
This makes me want to do endurance mtb-ing so bad. Most off-road miles I’ve ever racked up was 25 in one day, according to my friend’s computer. 50 sounds like a beautiful ass-kicking.

just got into the vision quest race.
56.5 miles, 11,000 feet of elevation change.

I figure that I conquered 50 miles and 6000 feet…let’s double the climbing?

Secret anticramp weapon

http://www.eletewater.com/

I mix up two gallons and make three trays of ice cubes. Fill camel back with cubes then top off with the left over premixed water.

~28mi race tomorrow…
havent been that far on a mtb since june?

I dont have a camels back… hopefully they have feed zones :slight_smile:
we’ll see how it turns out.

Water bottles tend to bounce out of cages @ race pace. . Put one or some in your jersey.

40 mile race this sunday. doing it on my ss cross w/ 50’s. dropped gears from 34/16 to 18 in the rear. the course isn’t very technical, it’s about like ski trails. good amount of climbing, but it’s not steep.

I’d like to take this moment to apologize to my lower back in preparation for the hell it’s going to go through.