My Kid Just Rode a Bike , Hell Fuckin Yeah

26 Likes

Hauling ass and dodging obstacles like a pro. Natural cross racer.

Hy doug
I’m proud of YOU

Congratulations Doug!

Leif has been occasionally riding his pedal bike but he prefers his balance bike, and mostly refused to use his pedal machine. It doesn’t help that it has coaster brakes and hand brakes which is confusing as fuck.

Coaster brakes are bullshit. I was very happy with a Raleigh Rowdy 16 with freewheel and hand brakes for Henry.

Vince still hasn’t made the leap to pedal bikes, but the other 2 are racing BMX now, and it’s awesome. They’re not good yet, but they’re out there racing, so… :grin:

1 Like

Coaster brakes meant skids for days. You can always remove the hand brake until later.

A couple days after ada’s first ride: she’s got it down, but doesn’t realize it yet. It’s still more scary than fun for her.

HY dude. kids on bikes forever.

brenner and i rode 2 miles straight yesterday which was his longest ride. we did a little mountain biking too and he cleared a 2 inch branch laying on the trail, which is not easy on a 16" wheel if you can’t unweight the front.

also coaster brakes are good for the skids but his hand brakes can lock up the rear as well and he lays the big skids down, especially on our lawn.

2 Likes

We’ve totally ridden around the skate park and then rode home on the levee trail (with scary drops on either side) and then Leif walked his bike up the steep hill. He’s fine on the bike, but his mastery of the balance bike is so much more that it’s more fun for him, still.

Fuck yeah kids on bikes! Here are two reads I enjoyed and I think you track-parents might as well. That growing kids bike is such a cool thing and really smart idea!

1 Like

This is rad. Racing bmx at a young age is a really good way to make rad cyclist so keep it up.

1 Like

brenner and i rode 3.3 miles yesterday! his longest ride yet. he was stoked. he hit the wall at about 2.8 miles but pushed through it and made it home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1798537528?utm_content=139935&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter #strava

3 Likes

We were in Steamboat a few weeks ago and at the BMX track they had a balance bike division for age 2+. Both my sons were so excited and wanted to race.

So the last few nights we’ve been doing “races” around our block at night before bed. 4 yo rides his 2 wheeler and does 2 laps, 2 yo rides the balance bike and does 1 lap.

Loving bike dad lyfe

6 Likes

Bump, new bike day!

Vintage Powerlite 20" race bmx. Light, 15#ish, with a 90lb. rider weight limit.
165 cranks are.too long and might do with some postinos because these risers are more like ape hangers at present.
Cheap! Thanks Craigslist

20 Likes

so good!

451 ETRTO?

1 Like

Yep with funky Cheng Shin knobby skinwall 28s.

Last night kid demanded that Bikey be allowed inside to watch moomin with her.

2 Likes

So, my kid’s Islabike is too fuckin small, and we need to get a new bike for him. He’d probably be happy on some BSO, but I want to get him something with handbrakes and no coaster. What are my options? Also, I’m not sure that a bike with gears is quite feasible for his brain at this point.

1 Like

how old? i LOVE the cleary stuff, i don’t even shop around anymore. just buy the next size cleary and go.

Not sure if you can get Woom bikes over there but they’ve been great for us. 5yo just moved up from woom2 to woom3…not quite ready for 4 yet (short legs)