My Kid Just Rode a Bike , Hell Fuckin Yeah

Redline Pitboss 16" or Raleigh Rowdy 16
for 16"
I mean I’d check craigslist for both those. They’re 16" freewheel bikes for approx. 5yo.

He’s 5, really good at riding a bike (been on a strider or pedal bike since 2). The woom bikes look really nice, and I’m looking at the BMX options. His 9yo cousin is going to give us a hand-me down, but it might be on the big side. Thanks!

My kid has a pitboss that’s still a going concern. My big issue with kid bmxes is how huge the cranks are. I got some 100(?) mmish bmx cranks from spawn, a local purveyor of shreddy kidbike products, and found that just right compared to the pitboss’ 135ish cranks.

1 Like

Staring at that cleary owl, i want to try getting a 3 speed igh on my kid’s new bmx. I’ll check the coop for a donor hub today.

1 Like

I bought 140mm Spawn cranks for my daughter’s 24" because the ones it came with were 165s.

I have a purple ano bolt on crossbar i’d part with cheap.

1 Like

If there a local bmx track, there’s usually bikes for 5 year olds for sale as kids grow.

I did some work on my kid’s new bmx today. Added a crazy ti weight weenie bb, 140 mm kids’ cranks (the 165s this bike came with are way too long for her) and some vintage pink Koolstop x Vans brake shoes that are shaped like actual shoes. Only thing left … (••) ( ••)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) … Is to adjust the toe-in.

6 Likes

Could you just put a Shimano dual pivot on there?

1 Like

Reach is like 65mm. A tektro bigmouth would probably do that. I also have a large collection of centerpulls that will go the distance. The existing single pivot dia compe is objectively very bad but also ok for a 40# kid to skid the rear wheel. Really it’d be best to just add a front brake as she gets heavier and faster, rather than worry too much about the rear.

Oo maybe a droppy plate thing and a regular reach dual piv Ultegra from my parts bin would just work, clear the 28mm tires and fulfill my bikedad nerd wishes.

1 Like

ah, now I look at it on a big screen, the reach does look bigger. whatever works and skids those cheap tyres.

After doing it once a year ago Ada psyched herself out and didn’t ride a bike

Then two weeks ago she said “I’m not scared of the bike anymore, can I try riding it?”

And now:

16 Likes

I feel like Ada riding bikes is basically what your life has been building to

1 Like

little kid fear is a true mystery

2 Likes

My kid had a slam at the pump track last night. She took a bar end to the belly.

The bar end plug did it’s job. But, now she’s bummed her bruise doesn’t have an ODI logo in it.

12 Likes

i was terrified of my bike until i was about 8, and then just one random day i was glued to it until i was about 13

Friday night

9 Likes

Can I post a trike?

10 Likes

Bike skills improving

5 Likes