My Kid Just Rode a Bike , Hell Fuckin Yeah

7 year old finally decided she was ready to ride. Just in time to be too big for her current bike. So… just in time for festivus we have this ready to go.

18 Likes

What are kids bolting to the bottoms of their downtubes these days?

1 Like

I wish it was something cooler… but there’s an IGH option for these.

1 Like

Probably one of those downtube fenders.

So this happened, hmfy

18 Likes

Yay Gloria!

1 Like

a kid riding a bike for the first time is one of life’s few moments of pure joy

bikes remain the only truly good thing humankind ever made

9 Likes

awesome!

1 Like

Such a trip watching this again. The before times, and the summer the busy street by my house was closed for resurfacing. The last good summer. Hope the next one is better.

2 Likes

Gloria graduated fast from the 12" Rapunzel coastie to her 16" redline pitboss. Same weight, but there’s a freewheel and front hand brake. She was bombing gravel hills and pushing back up like alexandra houchin today, over 4 kms of this .

10 Likes

Theo’s been riding around the 'hood and trail for a couple months now, but the other day he whipped out his aero position and I felt like it had to be shared.

8 Likes

Went to the local bike shop chain store to look at other stuff with Vera, and we ended up buying a used 12” RipRock with coaster brakes and training wheels. (She’s got a ways to grow before she can comfortably straddle her nice 16” bike :confused: ).

Anyway we got home, I stripped the training wheels off before anyone else could protest, and within 15 minutes she’s basically pedaling the thing by herself. Strider training is magic!

Also happy Father’s Day :heart:

9 Likes

Hey kid bike thread. I should buy that ridiculous cannondale lil lefty for my kid, right?

5 Likes

We super liked the cruzee because it’s so light.

I was amazed how heavy the 12" RipRock we bought was, pretty sure the 16" Cleary is lighter.

Otherwise the normal Strider brand “sport” model has been pretty solid for us

2 Likes

Kids went for a walk the other day. She was having fun

5 Likes

Looks pretty sweet. We went with a Giant Pre and it survived abuse from both my kids. Has very low standover, if short legs are an issue with your kid (my kids are short).

He’s not short but also not especially tall. I was also just thinking about the basic ass Strider. Anybody know why I shouldn’t go with that since I can buy it locally or through one of @capn_FANCYpants ’ affiliate links?

1 Like

This thing:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/strider-12-sport-balance-bike-kids?skidn=STDA00U-PIN-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDpLaWRzJyBCaWtlczoxOjY6Y2F0MTAwMjA1NzE4#

Get the strider.

Yesterday while walking between the shop and my house I passed two different kids riding a pedal bike for the very first time, both on bikes I sold their parents. It felt really good. They both started on striders and picked up pedal life in a matter of minutes.

7 Likes