Nerd Crank Chat

Despite FSA telling me last week that Adventure cranks were ~4 months away from delivery, the FSA SL-K 386EVO model is in the QBP catalog (CR2294, CR2295, CR2296) which states that they’ll be in stock today (3/27). These dates are usually optimistic, but it sounds like it’s finally really real.

Retail price is $400, without a BB>

Gonna try to use my old mtb crank as a double with a short BB. Might try it tonight, might try it when my other parts come in. I sure hope it works. In my head it’s nerd-able but we’ll see.

Just FYI SRAM eTAP does not shift 30-46 well at all.

TBH the two eTAP bikes I’ve played with (both SRAM-built demo bikes) shifted pretty poorly in the front.

Huh
SRAM front shifting sucks
You don’t say

Hmm. I haven’t tried with normal ring sizes yet. I sure hope it’s not as bad as with my nerd rings or I’ll be pissed I switched to a standard compact double.

SHOCKING stuff right here.

I had a 46-32 double on the DC and a Sram Red front derailleur. It was the titanium one that all the pros swapped for steel because the cage was too flexy to shift. TBH I never noticed it once, it shifted fine the whole time I had that bike, with a downtube shifter. I feel like a nerd crank is easier to shift because the jump between rings is not huge, so you can kludge the install a little and still be in good shape.

Can’t wait to find out how wrong I am

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]Huh
SRAM front shifting sucks
You don’t say[/quote]

Even with nerd rings???

downtube shifters here

never had a problem shifting with them.

mofos love to hate on em tho.

32-46 = 14 teeth
39-53 = 14 teeth

and

32-46 = +43%
39-53 = +35%

Dt shifters and the right brake system can weigh less than the same with shakes

You guys forget, I had a DT shifter for the front and a bar-end for the back. Immediately sacrificing all my DT cool points. All of my bikes trip on their own feet.

God I miss that bike…

I try, anyways.

that’s not a 32t inner chainring

If I only had a reaction gif for how I feel about this thread so far

eTap shifts fine if set up properly. Honestly, it shifts better than the new 9100 mechanical gorilla. So disappointed at the 9100 gorilla.

Pain in the ass to set up too.

Might be able to do it on the Univega.

It came with a Sugino gt triple. today I pulled the granny ring and put in a un55 I had lying around. Looks like it fits but gotta tighten everything up to be sure, looks to have as much clearance as the grando. Haven’t bought a cassette for this bike yet but I’m excited for the double instead of the triple.

edit: before anyone asks it looks like the chainline will be even better, but who knows once it’s actually running.

[quote=kmcdon]downtube shifters here

never had a problem shifting with them.

mofos love to hate on em tho.[/quote]

i don’t think the hate is towards the DT shifters themselves, rather new guy’s apples to oranges comparison of shifting performance (specifically with SRAM FRED front der in bicycle pubes approved Ti materialway) between DT shifters and indexed shake and bakes.

shakes will have problems if the cage is flexy in getting enough throw to shift while then not rubbing after the shift (and possibly applying adequate force???). with DT friction you do what needs to be done then trim as required after the shift.

and while we’re on teh subject of how wrong you can be, i don’t have any experience with SRAM FRED front shifting… but i am an engineer :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. sorta nerd cranked some shimano M730 tripples (110/74 BCD), it work OK for the bike it’s on but i feel there are better ghetto nerd crank solutions out there, like 94 bcd cranks if you want 4X/30, though you can fit a <30t small ring on the 110/74 M730s. The chain starts to rub on teh big ring about half way through the cassette and the Q factor seems quite high so i don’t want to use a wider BB. the derailleur is not SRAM FRED and the shifter is not mounted on the DT though