nerdy and dull bike plans/dithering thrad 2014

Find a frame to build a SS basket bike out of.

Spend as little money as possible on bike shit and be happy with the three awesome bikes I’ve got.

Commuter: fit cx50 cranks to get lower gearing. Re-cable and get the front shimergo shifting even better. Pick up new wide rear wheel from shop when the owner comes back from holidays, then try and jam some 28s under the fenders. Maybe get some better compact bars, the RHM01’s aren’t giving me all of it.

Sweet roadie: Maybe experiment with super-lightweight inner tubes, but maybe not. Do nothing but routine maintenance. Have spent all my Xmas money on consumables to cover me for the next ~10,000 km. Ride the fuck out of it.

Bakfiets: Get carpenter mate to brace the box as it currently rattles like a rattly thing. Then just ride it, and if I ride it enough maybe get a Kojak for the front/Big Apple for the rear.

Wifebiek: get wheels I shittily built sorted out so she has non-shitty wheels. Not that she rides anyway.

Other bikes: sell sw8 tarck fixxie, track bike, and c’dale roadie. Use proceeds to buy decent winter kit.

Once my house sells (outlook very good for <1 Mo) and get my ass to Seattle I need to re cable my trance and service the RD and possibly replace chain. (all my tools are there)
Throw front brake on the Dirt jumper so I can also use it as an around town Yolo bike.
Get shoulder fixed so I can play polo again
Ride more before getting shoulder fixed

Seattle Bike Swap: Sell more than I buy and come out even or maybe money ahead. Ha!

Main goal is 4 well-built usable bikes with minimal overlap:

1. Novara Randonee: 700x42c fendered low-trail mini-porteur disc camping dyno yolobiek
    Convert to yolobiek. This means finish the install of low-trail raked crosscheck fork, then have disc tabs added to frame/fork, also fork bosses to fit homebuilt mini-porteur rack I made several years ago. I have a dorky paint theme in mind for this bike.

2. Raleigh International: 700x32c dyno fendered low-trail zoomy randobike
    Has been raked to low-trail, now needs to be built up so I can decide where to add braze-ons (OEM was clamp-on erreything almost). Will need paint or powder.

3. Bridgestone MB-2: 26xfatty dyno fendered flat bar front racked towniemuter
    Finish building into flat-bar commutermobile. Have all parts for this, just lacking time.

4. Zion 737: 29er hardtail
    Replace pads and bleed brakes. Convert to tubeless. Ride more.

These bikes should be sold, but will likely end up keeping at least one of them:
Miyata Valley Runner: Commute on this, then sell whole or parted out once yolobiek above is completed (too much overlap to justify owning both).

Novara Randonee: Keep as loaner/mutt/barbiek. Not much value in the parts so no worth selling, and nice to keep around as backup.

Trek 400: Won bare frameset in bike club white elephant. Extraordinarily tempting to build to cheapo SS, but in reality I should sell it.

Mystery S&S coupled frame: Bought for the couplers, should sell it as it’s clear I’ll probably never get around to wanting to travel with one of my bikes nor having these couplers removed then added to a frame I like.

lol I wish this is what I wanted to do.

Long Haul Trucker - want to keep this one mostly the same. Thinking about putting a Noodle bar on it to get a little dorkier, but that’s about it.

Klein Quantum - in the DQ thread I’ve been getting advice on replacing the crankset. The standard size chainrings were just too big for my fat ass and I didn’t ride it much last year because I was always afraid that I was going to stall out on some hill when I got tired. Also the rear shifting always sucked, now I figured out it’s because I didn’t tighten the lockring on the cassette enough. So mainly I just want to put more miles on this bike because it’s pretty nice (to me anyway).

Trek 7.2FX - bought this bike near the end of 2012 and it did its job of getting me into riding bikes. And it’s done alright as a winter commuter/rain bike. But, I can feel it bounce and flex under my 260 pounds and tbh I’d kinda like to try having a mountain bike that is also a foul-weather/winter commuter. So I’d like to replace it with something like a Surly Ogre, but in the end I don’t think I want to spend the money. But we’ll see.

I’m going to buy and install some 700x28 Continental Grand Prix 4000S II as soon as they’re available. Otherwise, I’m not going to fuck much with my bikes, because they both currently work great, and I am poor.

2014 plans:
Ride em or sell em

sell folding bike
spend as little as possible on traitor

my 2014 bike plans are
just ride the fuggers
i only have two and if that bro on vsalon puts that gualzetti issimo on the bay and bidding stays crazy low
i might try to snag it…but for what i’d pay for it i’d feel bad for the dude

might have to lace up that nemesis rim i bought when that shitty place liquidated them
might buy some balleur 25mm tubs but probably not

oh shit i forgot i have that old gary fisher mtb
i need to build that up into a trollbiek
if i do that then i might try to get countrytruck bros tig welder and build a hipster front rack for it

No really big bike plans this year. Keeping it to 4 bikes which I am mostly concerned about maintaining rather than upgrading. The focus this year is on form, diet, and training.

• Caad10 only needs a couple minor tweaks. Needs a chain soon. Wouldn’t mind upgrading the wheels and shifters but I will probably ride it how it is for this season because the parts I want are expensive and won’t help me much in races anyway.

• Sweet fixie is sill running quiet and solid even after heavy use last year, I’m going to keep riding it until the frame breaks which hopefully won’t be soon, but honestly I’m slightly concerned about a 30 year old frame being ridden with such frequency and intensity. There is some surface rust and pitting that needs addressed if the frame is going to be used for a few more years but it seems solid enough. Should be due for its third chain by spring. My crappy rear wheel seems to also be holding up but since I’m not confident about the lockring threads and lukewarm spoke tension across the wheel, I may replace it when I wear the cog out or want a higher gear ratio. The only ‘issue’ is the grippy washers gouging my dropouts, so I think I’m going to make my own washer setup with brass washers on the inside so they will deform to the dropout in order to grip and not vice versa.

• Cross bike is working out well this winter. Upgrading the fork helped a lot, I don’t feel the need to do much to it besides new brake pads and possibly new wheels since the rear is living on borrowed time and the front wheel is heavy and stolen from another set which I should just get rid of since it is super record 6 speed 36h. I wish I could mount the front fender more securely but with the fatty studded tires and lack of fork eyelets it will probably rub occasionally no matter what. Considering constructing a shorty type fender to keep my face and the headset clean since my feet seem to get wet even with the fender since I can’t put a mudflap on it without it being ripped off by my shoe.

• Going to build the lemond maillot jaune up as a general purpose backup road/geared for lazy days/trainer bike. With the ouzo pro fork I’m hoping it will be a nice ride that is capable enough for group rides or god forbid even racing if I have to, but more than likely I will just ride it on nice days to break up the monotony of always riding fixed/ss. The plan is to build it with parts at hand which fortunately are all silver so it might not look bad in spite of the ronald mcdolan color scheme.

paramount: done, except for waiting a Zipp seatpost. Ride it more.

niner: finish wheels when spokes arrive this week. Ride it. Race it CCCX.

CrissCross: keep it single speed. Commute. Maybe throw some knobbies on it come fall/winter for SSCX action.

-no more bike builds for at least a year, maybe two. Pay off any debt and save up monies.

[quote=motorbacon]
-no more bike builds for at least a year, maybe two. [/quote]

LOLOLOLOL

[quote=jimmythefly][quote=motorbacon]
-no more bike builds for at least a year, maybe two. [/quote]

LOLOLOLOL[/quote]

I was laughing while I typed that. But seriously, Paramount and Niner (will) give me all of it, for what I do.

Self-delusion is a thing.

Road bike: Take possession of TIG Zank, build w/ DA9000 (mid-compact crank), figure out wheels (Ambrosio Nemesis vs HED Belgium Plus laced to CK), ride a lot
Cross bike: Take delivery from Geekhouse late in the year, build with 6800 disc, get rad
MTB FS: Install chain guide, actually maintain it, ride all year unless I come across an amazing deal on a crabon Norco 650b or a Bronson
MTB HT: Purchase, something carbon 29er like, maybe build a steel frame with Peter Verdone’s help
Paramount road: Build up as kick around bike
Paramount track: Build up proto-TB14 to Campy HF hubs, reinstall all other original parts and ride
Zunow (wifebike): Build up as an around town fun bike
Kona Ute: Do lots of wheelies, replace crap wheelset, replace long tail deck (badly cracked due to wheelies and mtb radness), cut cargo bags in half so I can move Grey’s Yepp seat back, build way to hang Grey’s Strider off the back, do lots of bike camping with Grey
84’ Spesh Stumpy: Recable, new chain, fix original wheelset
Other shit: Sell remaining tons of parts, hang commonly used tools on peg board

second SSCX bike is to have a race spare in the pit?

seems extra silly if you sell your geared cx bike to build it instead of using zipties

[quote=motorbacon]
I was laughing while I typed that. But seriously, Paramount and Niner (will) give me all of it, for what I do.[/quote]

It’s not that crazy. 2013 was the first year since 2007 that I didn’t buy a new bike or frame.

[quote=ryker]Fewer plans than ever. Feels good on the whole.
[list]
[]Would like to pimp the wheels on supwife’s touring biek, which she loves. Thinking about an XTR rear and a swappable pair of XTR/XT-dynamo front wheels so she has choice up front (reality: replacing her shitbox spokes with butted ones, which costs me nothing).
[
]Need fenders on two touring bieks, the 26" above and my 700c dick trucker. Kind of hung up on this job because want Berthoud hardware with lighter fenders.
[/list][/quote]

Super silly to build two front wheels, or even rebuild a touring biek wheel without putting a dynamo in it when you can get one for $30 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271105003333?lpid=82

If your shop has an EAI account you can get the Berthoud hardware from them, otherwise it’s gonna be a pita

La Raza phase 1:
[list]
[]build up with 6500 group from Wilier
[
]add SKS Chromoplastics
[*]strip & refinish Wilier frame
[/list]

phase 2:
[list]
[]source external-bearing crank, maybe convert a 7800 or something similar to single?
[
]pay one of you tarckbros to build me a wheelset with some Archetypes, run it SS for a while
[/list]

phase 3: 10s ultrashift campy levers if I decide I want shakes again