nerdy and dull bike plans/dithering thrad 2014

second SSCX bike is to have a race spare in the pit?

seems extra silly if you sell your geared cx bike to build it instead of using zipties[/quote]

Not selling the geared bike, but yeah it’s more than a little dumb. This will be the new “A” ss bike.

I just wanna build/borrow a fuckaround bike that I can leave locked up on campus for the next ten weeks. Its primary purposes will be wheelies and beer runs.

Seattleites are welcome/encouraged to help me with this. I’ll provide you with a tax receipt.

Nordavinden: finish installing light system, get a new rack made for it. Install low riders and load up a couple days’ worth of gear for a short trip or two. Buy some new tires, but not the fancy ones I crave. Probably some Nomads.

LHT: rebuild rear wheel with CODA hub. Move spare front over. Consider selling it to buy more suitable touring bike.

Kidsbike: buy my buddy’s old MTB and put an xtracycle on it. Ride kid all over town this summer.

That’s it. Having a kid on my rafter limited income has scaled back my bike plans considerably for the foreseeable future.

[quote=ckd]I just wanna build/borrow a fuckaround bike that I can leave locked up on campus for the next ten weeks. Its primary purposes will be wheelies and beer runs.

Seattleites are welcome/encouraged to help me with this. I’ll provide you with a tax receipt.[/quote]

How tall are you?

5’8" or 5’9" or so.

I’ve got a bike for you. I’m taking the cranks and shifters, and it’s missing some more parts, but you can probably put the rest together from your parts bin.

Crosscheck: Nomad 35s, classic Flite and mini-vs. Eventually build some new wheels for it too.

Batavus: Replace the creaky, decrepit old Cinelli cockpit with something more modern. Replace the front rim. I’d like to get down on some 11-9 shimergo action too.

Fixed gear beater: Front rack, rear brake and a SS freewheel. Probably put fenders from the cross check on it at some point. Or not bother, because its not going to rain here for a long time anyway.

[quote=emor]Kidsbike: buy my buddy’s old MTB and put an xtracycle on it. Ride kid all over town this summer.
[/quote]
hmmm. this would justify at least one of the dumb old mtn bikes I have kicking around.

but is an extracycle appreciably crappier than a big dummy? might need to start an extracycle thread.

Take it to the cagro bikes thread

take money saved from not drinking and

1. buy cheap old mtb, singlespeed it, cruiser bars, giant wald basket, big apples, spd/platform pedals, haul dog/groceries/summer cruising sans bag

2. build sscx. looking at pompetamine, it looks like a decent, inexpensive frame and i guess i can pick one up at the planet x store in portland.

1. Finish building up the Serotta.
  2. HTFU and ride through the winter (although fucka riding in -14º F right now).
  3. Get less fat.

[quote=halbritt][list=1]
[*]Drag my oxy/acetylene rig home from the warehouse and start brazing bike tubes into the form of a track bike.
[/list][/quote]

you should drag it up to my place. Have the jig here, and a small mill found its way into the garage somehow :smiley:

whaddaya know. right after posting here i found an 80s steel mtb, frame only, for ten bucks on cl. it’s a start.

i’m getting ideas, and i’m going to have fun.

[quote=bobbythehawk][quote=halbritt][list=1]
[*]Drag my oxy/acetylene rig home from the warehouse and start brazing bike tubes into the form of a track bike.
[/list][/quote]

you should drag it up to my place. Have the jig here, and a small mill found its way into the garage somehow :D[/quote]

Don’t fuck with me. If you’re serious, I totally will.

attn ladygrinder
The Nub - The Burliest Mountain Bike Touring/Commuter Conversions in the Universe
Lots of terrible bikes but lots of great ideas in here. I also have a late 80’s rigid mtb that I’m slowly turning into bomber townie mode for spring.

fuck yeah. i want bomber townie mode with some flexibility for trail gnar shredding. just a little stoked.

[quote=halbritt][quote=bobbythehawk][quote=halbritt][list=1]
[/list][/quote]

you should drag it up to my place. Have the jig here, and a small mill found its way into the garage somehow :D[/quote]

Don’t fuck with me. If you’re serious, I totally will.[/quote]

yup.

Going to start with a yolo polo bike with a cheapo MTB tubeset I got lying here.

that.
Wasn’t there a Soberuary thread? Maybe shoot for sobourteen.

[quote=bobbythehawk][quote=halbritt][quote=bobbythehawk][quote=halbritt][list=1]
[/list][/quote]

Don’t fuck with me. If you’re serious, I totally will.[/quote]

yup.

Going to start with a yolo polo bike with a cheapo MTB tubeset I got lying here.[/quote]

PM me. Let’s do this.

1. Ride.
  2. Ride some more.
  3. Ride my fucking bikes more and longer.
  4. Move to supgrrl and get into local cross team with my bros “up north”.
    4,5. Actually train for cross season and do some racing now that I don’t have any excuse not to.
  5. Plan awesome biekpacking/touring trip in the summer with supgrrl and not overload like a motherfucker.
  6. Sell some shit and build a squishy front 29er and try to shred some gnar.
  7. Proceed to visit snowmaaan and let him hand my ass to me while gettin rad in teh trve kvlt black metal-forest of Stockholm.