nerdy and dull bike plans/dithering thrad 2014

Sell off a couple of things to build two kinda balleur wheelsets.

Got the money for the hubs of road wheels already, just can’t decide whether to get blue or 3dv color.

Second set will have to be red unless sondeluxes start coming in blue or 3dv, or SP hubs start making centerlock. That would be ideal - then I’d do the road hubs one color (blue or 3dv) and the yolo hubs the other. Red isn’t too bad I suppose.

Supernova offers SP hubs with centerlock and colors: http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/infinity_s.html

The colors don’t match the usual suspects very well though, best pairing is gonna be with asian weenie hubs that don’t come in centerlock

I’ve never done touring before, just lots of car camping with a bike, but this will probably be the summer where myself and a bicycle spend some quality time together on the road. I want to figure out the gearing situation on my 650b bike which I promise I’ll post in bike thread soon. Currently it is a 50/34 with a Campy 11-30 out back, but I got an IRD 11-34 cheap recently. Just have not had the time to put it on. The only other thing I want before summer is a clutch derailleur for this thing. If someone releases an 11 speed compatible one I’ll make the switch on this bike and have access to all kinds of gearing.

Unfortunately that will also entail switching my rear hub out. I bought this damn Novatec weeks before they released a 10/11 version. I’ll probably just sell the wheelset and build a new one with centerlock front and 11 speed compatible rear.

dithering:
I’m backing off the idea of getting a Big Dummy, because I think it will be too much of a pita to get to/from the railtrail.
now I’m thinking about going with an iBert seat up front for the babby and Henry in the rear on the doublecross.
but I’d have to switch the bars and the shifters and brakes and either cassette or rear derailleur out.
maybe I should just get a hambiek and throw 29 wheels and 45 Nomads and racks etc on it for warm weather kid hauling. and then I’d have that.

[quote=match avatar]Supernova offers SP hubs with centerlock and colors: http://supernova-lights.com/en/products/infinity_s.html

The colors don’t match the usual suspects very well though, best pairing is gonna be with asian weenie hubs that don’t come in centerlock[/quote]

Ooooh, the blue looks like the standard blue. Perfect! Shame bike24 only has the silver in stock right now.

Ugh, can’t find the blue one in stock anywhere ('cept for a couple of exxy places). Lucky I don’t need them for six months or so. Guess I’ll wait for possible restock.

what are you building that needs a balleur disc/dyno wheelset?

1. sell all bullshit bikes (retro-direct MTB w/rollercams? tinyperson road bike w/banana seat and wheelie bar? what use is any of this shit?)
  2. buy legit road bike
  3. ride lots
  4. ride some more
  5. do some longer rides. maybe a few tours.

Trisbike super commuter/yolo bike that will prob replace Tachyon. Wheels aren’t crazy balleur, but I’ve got a hard-on for Belgium+ rims right now and I really want centerlock, ano’d and dynamo’d hubs, all of which are kind of fancy.

my hambiek will look like this

Imma build some wheels next since I’ll need another 8/9/10 wheelset to put the rest of my plans in motion. I think tubular is finally out of the running because these will live primarily on a fenderbiek.

I need to write out a timeline for this shit or something.

Critical path

Ok, change of plans. I hate my road bike, so I bought one of these (alluded to earlier) from Special Ed’s end-of-the-year employee purchase blowout.

Going to wrap it with this tape.

And install these cages.

Basically the total opposite of everything I’ve ever done on my bikes before.

I hate that tape.

My arm is sore from installing some today. DGAF.

No S love but I’d put it through the paces for little dollhairs. Put a solid build together and ride fucks out of.

Batrape and cages wear out or go away easily enough.

Yeah, I’ve always hated the big red S for a long list of reasons (not just for the fact that they defend their “Epic” trademark and other nonsense), but the price is right for a bike from a brand of bike I’ve never owned. Something new to try without much risk. If it bores me or rides like a turd, I’ll dump it for at least what I paid, if not I’ll have a cheap, fun, light bike, and maybe I’ll actually fucking ride again.

Dislike s, but if I worked at a shop that dealt it is buy the shit out of it since they have a strong resale market

I can back that build, TAF.

[quote=bonechilling]
Basically the total opposite of everything I’ve ever done on my bikes before.[/quote]
:bear:
[youtube]EzxfivZF9Yk[/youtube]