New "handmade" leader frame... hahaha

What a bastardized turd this thing is…

Have you guys seen this? http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd-ld-hmt-2009-track-frame.cfm

The geometry made me laugh out loud. The medium/51 has almost a 58 top tube and a 75.5 seat tube angle. I think this bike was designed for an Orangutan.

Wow… worst bike ever.

old news. Not the “worst bike ever” imo, but I see what you are getting at. It’s pretty bad.

My favorite part is how you could buy a custom Marinoni frameset for $50 more.

Hey guys, welcome to three weeks ago!

Hello Rusty.

Hi Rusty.

hahhaa

eh, i wouldnt buy it, at least it looks good. i like chrome lugs

Sorry for the re-hash. I don’t pay enough attention it seems…

but how about this frame…

http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd-ld-721tr.cfm

They’re using similar geometry to the rest of their track frames. Small triangles, long top tube, lots of seatpost. It’s just how they’re made.

why is “handmade” in quotes?
every single bike is handmade and every frame, hand welded.

[quote=“tzusing”]why is “handmade” in quotes?
every single bike is handmade and every frame, hand welded.[/quote]

are you saying in general? maybe I’m not sensing your sarcasm…

[quote=“walking disease”]but how about this frame…

http://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd-ld-721tr.cfm[/quote]

I haven’t yet uploaded my brain to the internet and cast off my earthly shackles so I’m just not in the market for a virtual bike… yet.

[quote=“tzusing”]why is “handmade” in quotes?
every single bike is handmade and every frame, hand welded.[/quote]

The OP is using scare quotes.

no…there is no sarcasm there. Show me a non hand made bicycle frame. All bicycles are hand made.

Of course they are all handmade… That’s what makes pointing out that their bike is handmade that much more funny to me.

And as far as geometry goes that bike is poorly designed (like most of their bikes). The percentage of people that actually need a seat tube angle that steep (yes, on a track bike) is tiny. Long top tube = short stem = inferior steering. I just find it funny that the people at leader clearly know nothing about bike design and are either trying to replicate what they heard a track bike is supposed to be (steep angles dude!) or they are so lazy they just take whatever the factory throws at them. And before someone starts nitpicking the difference between tarck bikes, street fixed, and actual track bikes I want to point out that the leader frame falls into none of these categories and is not designed to excel at any of these.

Tzusing… I know you have far more insight into the manufacturing end of things than I do but I have seen video of really cheap high-ten frames being machine welded. They had some sort of jig that rolled down an assembly line and a machine that would just blast the shit out of tube junctions with a huge welding torch and basically melt the tubes together. Granted, this was in some Discover Channel show and I get the impression the footage was rather old. Are you familiar with this?

you’re sayin there’s no such thing as a aluminum bicycle with robotic tig welds? hm

you’re sayin there’s no such thing as a aluminum bicycle with robotic tig welds? hm[/quote]
Yeah but what do they use to press the button that starts the robots? That’s right. A hand.

I hate to derail what may become a good discussion on bicycle manufactiring techniques but I did notice that Leader has that frame on ebay now too.