New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

what I really want to know is what the eye-roll:curiosity-piqued ratio is for each one of these ridiculous reenactment products. Does he only need to find one sucker for every thousand people that see this nonsense in order to make a profit, or is it more like 5 victims for every thousand viewers.

1 Like

That’s the thing that really bugs me about these stems. They’re so obviously re-enactment for re-enactment’s sake. Sure supple 650b and thin-walled tubing were things the olds knew about and Jan really did help re-introduce, and those things really are quite nice. But these stems? There’s no hidden performance justification.

Edit: AND they are ugly slabs of aluminum that don’t match anything else on the bike. The only thing close aesthetically is the crank arms, and those are much less awkward than the stem.

Oh I think the stems are gorgeous but I agree with you that they have no functional value.

1 Like

Wat

It’s a thing. So are 12 axis machines.

In the grand scheme of things none of us are

1 Like

I am a die hard Alter stan and I still think Jan’s are fugly

3 Likes

Capitalism: You’re not special. You don’t get the treats.
Socialism: You’re not special. But neither is anyone else. So share.

5 Likes

mods plz change thread name to “New & Irritating Bike Components”

8 Likes

I hope Jan does well with the stems and accessories. We made several samples back in 2014. I’ll save my opinions.

10 Likes

but the machining was just too complex and you didn’t do it again?

1 Like

The machining wasn’t too bad tbh. The polishing and finishing was pretty intense. We ultimately didn’t go for it since it was heavier, more complex, a lot more $$, and much more of a PITA to snake a drop bar through the clamp. I mean, it’s really, really, really hard to beat a nice reg 35$ threadless stem.

The integration of switches, etc… on Jan’s is pretty neat though. Personally, I just reach down and turn the light on while riding. Rear lights typically don’t have switches, so they turn on when current flows to the rear.

8 Likes

it seems like there’s a weight penalty for the RH design vs the Alter with the curved sides and midspan brace also, but that could also be a concession to manufacturing

it’s ideal for this

that pricing just seems absurd.

6 Likes

Maybe to a troglodyte who can’t appreciate the aesthetic

4 Likes

I think you are all very special bois

3 Likes

the more of this bizarro stuff he puts out, the less i trust the tires.

edit: like i just dont trust tires from a guy who clearly cares so little for teeth

8 Likes

I thought the tube was the tube

yeah but they made it for you. to save you some trouble.

3 Likes