New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

This would go great with a Brooks skull saddle

14 Likes

I haven’t switched any of mine off in years.

7 Likes

no he takes the whole fork out of the frame with the front wheel still mounted

and insists that the threaded headset is a productive part of that arrangement

1 Like

Every time I think he can’t get any higher on the scale he manages to surpass whatever it was.

6 Likes

3 hex tooled bolts. if you play your cards right all three take the same tool. i’ll just never fucking understand

1 Like

why stop digging if the hole hasn’t caved in on you yet?

3 Likes

value add

1 Like

i finally just read his writeup on what rinko is because i never cared until today.

“Rinko nut is threaded on the outside, so you can attach it to the fender with the supplied (thin) hex nut. It also is threaded on the inside. This is where the bolt goes that holds the two fender halves together. It’s a simple part, but if you have to machine it yourself, you’ll spend some time. So we had a batch made to save you the trouble.”

somehow the “so we had a batch made to save you the trouble” makes me so angry. i was never going to make this thing myself. i also don’t manufacture any other part of the bicycle. shimano doesn’t say “this disc rotor is a simple part but if you have to machine it yourself, you’ll spend some time.” everyone knows that. that’s why i’m here, on your website, to buy things that i can’t make.

17 Likes

One could say that about everything we ever buy. Corn is a simple food, but we grow it for you to save you the trouble.

7 Likes

yeah like thank you for participating in an economy

9 Likes

I wonder if a lot of the subtext of these bike weirdos like Jan and Grant and pvd is that they feel like they are very special boys and we all should too

12 Likes

You think?!

Grant: “Aw shucks, you think I’m special?”
Jan: “I and my team, which I assembled and is mostly me, have developed scientific processes to determine subtleties unknown to ordinary riders.”
PVD: “It’s not that I’m special, everyone else is just so terrible that of course I am the specialest boy, in comparison.”

18 Likes

That’s the entire premise

I guess that’s why most of us don’t sell things. We’re not special :cry::pensive::confused:

1 Like

I feel like Grant ultimately wants more people on bikes having fun, but his methods of achieving that are questionable

PVD is definitely at his shtick for some masturbatory indulgence

Jan is stranger to me. I guess the tire business and manufacturing connections allow him to pretend like he wants to sell every bad idea he has?

Capitalism just told me I’m not special

The whole Herse stem “intensely complex to make” is just marketing and price justification, right?

I can’t believe that 8 decades after some guy was cranking these things out in his shop under German occupation in Paris, they’re some super hard to make part in 2021.

Rene Herse Stems, Before and After

This doesn’t look like it needs a nine-axis milling machine smuggled from Japan.

10 Likes

You could make it yourself, but you’d have to spend some time.

12 Likes

Jan likes to say that everything he’s involved in has been optimized to the Nth degree. I would like to know what Jan’s justification is for making a stem without a removable face plate.

9 Likes

Capitalism stole my virginity.

6 Likes