New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

i work with someone who’s first name starts with an S and their last name starts and ends with a Quentin. they should do something about that

1 Like

A bit of figuring and I can save a bunch of money by getting a longer dropper. Current is 170 and it will likely fit a 210.

Plus the 170 is the wrong diameter and the la croix post shim creaks.

I think they’re named after parts of Marin, some of which happen to be San Quentin.

1 Like

The dj bike is the Alcatraz

like Quentin-Smithquentin?

2 Likes

While not technically in Marin County, it’s also a place nearby. They also named a bike “Presidio” which, again, is a place nearby, not technically in Marin county, nor a prison.

There’s also the fact that San Quentin, aside from being a prison is also a town. Ain’t much there other than the prison, but it’s a pretty place to ride through.

Alcatraz, in fact, is no longer a prison.

While I understand your concern, which is valid, I don’t really think they were shooting for a named-after-prisons vibe and were more going for a spots that are hyper local kind of vibe.

Clearly the bike was named after the patron saint of locksmiths, porters, and tailors; Saint Quentin who was martyred in Gaul at the end of the third century.

5 Likes

butterfingers on mobile edit. you can probably see what i meant

Nothing says hyper local like a world famous prison/tourist attraction!

2 Likes

I remember online outrage about the bikes being being named after prisons in maybe 2020. Was it then just these names or did they have more prisony names then?

Anyway, just San Quentin and Alcatraz at the height of anti police protests is a step in poop move the likes of which a company in few other industries other than bikes could manage.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to bomb down some trails on my new Marin ADX Florence!

3 Likes

Was it a great choice from the start? No.
Is it the end of the world, given that as Heath said, a lot of their bikes have Marin-based names? No.

2 Likes

Heath I know all this shit I grew up in Sonoma County. They have bikes named after specific trails too, but the these two suddenly drop the convention for less descript descriptors of general places that also JUST HAPPEN to be named after prisons?

Edit:

3 Likes

Maybe stop having famous prisons in the area. Bet you never thought of that. I blame Johnny Cash.

10 Likes

I concede the point. That’s dumb.

2 Likes

They got this one right

3 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up:

1 Like

Nice dew.

oh— I wasn’t giving you a hard time, I thought there might be an unusually recursive surname out there

Fairfax, too.