New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

That’s awesome. If it vents reasonably and doesn’t weigh four pounds I might buy one but not for over $200 jeez!

I don’t see a lot of vents

The venting is my main concern with helmets.

1 Like

Yeah I think the assumption with this helmet is that you’re riding an eBike so probably not getting as sweaty as you would otherwise.

Rode my eCycletruck yesterday and noticed that 50 degrees Fahrenheit at ~23mph can get kinda chilly. Wondering if I might have to modify typical cycling dress code and helmet warmth this winter.

1 Like

That thing’s gonna make you a fat squirrel.

1 Like

They make ebike-specific hamlets now?

Truly this is the end times.

1 Like

ill just mail an ebiker one of my spare motorcycle helmets

Ebike specific helmets make sense. Moto helmets have to be safe for a squid on a Busa so they’re way overkill for an ebike. Features like that light, visor, and optimised venting could make someone more comfortable to commute on an ebike or slow speed e-scooter vs a bike helmet or moto helmet.

How does an ebike hamlet need to be different from a bike hamlet? Maybe you put in less effort so ventilation is a little less important, maybe you sit a little more upright… But it’s still a bike helmet.

Built-in hamlet light is especially pointless for ebikes, which have a bigass battery on board so hooking up a tail light to that is a no-brainer.

What attracts me is the larger surface area of the helmet light.
Drivers can see and judge the distance of a large diffused box much better compared to a small tail light dot.
I can’t find any DC powered tail lights larger than the B&M Toplight that have a wide diffused fresnel lens. That helmet appears to be about 6x larger than the Toplight.

1 Like

It doesn’t need to be different, but from a design perspective it opens up a lot of options. You don’t have to be as concerned with weight, or as Squirrel noted, ventilation, which permits you to do things like this one does - have a really big light-refractor on the back of the helmet. Can’t do that with a speedy aero mega-vent helmet - you just don’t have the surface area for it. They can also make them a little bigger and put some of that smart shit in them, like bluetooth speakers, SOS/GPS crash systems, and other stuff without worrying about weight/aero properties.

1 Like

I’ve only been using the eCycletruck 1/5 days of the week on average and usually pick up groceries on the way home from my 23 mile commute. While it is fun, its also kinda cumbersome to deal with.

Pros:
Save up to 30 minutes on commute time because of increased average speed.
Don’t have to deal with mode transfer: bike → bus(or light rail) → bike
Can take the hilly / straightest route or good for exploring new alternative routes
Slightly more fun to ride, no sufferfest on hills (OMG, 4th & 5th Ave downtown is so fun)
Not as tired after work
Greater capacity for groceries
Anticipating this will be the best tool to deal with the upcoming “period of maximum constraint” in Seattle: If you think Seattle traffic is bad now, just wait until all these projects start

Cons:
Spend at least 10 minutes at work / home detaching battery, hooking up charger & cables
Lose book reading time on the bus (or light rail)
Really heavy to carry up the stairs at home
Increasing the chance of dying on a bicycle by being on road instead of bike trail (or bus) for longer period.
Geared motor whine is loud enough that it makes it difficult to listen to podcasts but music isn’t bad.
Don’t feel comfortable locking up for long periods of time.

eyeball protection for zipping along while upright

Squirrel I’m real interested if the retractable shield is glasses-friendly

1 Like

A 23-mile commute certainly justifies an eBike.

Dt Swiss just started shipping shimano microspline cass bodies. How long until new dura ace? When are we gonna get the wiggle pusher (wiggler?) and 12sp road?

Seems like a good solution for shared garages or outdoor storage

That actually looks pretty promising. I’d like to see more detail on the lock but even just in that short video it seems to hit a lot of the points that others miss.

Would love to see some kind of retractable cable for the wheels.

Would you rather have a built-in cable or just supply your own cable that you could loop around the wheels and through the lock? I say keep the device simple.