New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

kind of silly how all of the >=12s mech shifting options are for graveleurs

1 Like

upon re-watching: interesting to note that, like their MTB derailleurs, GRX 1x is ditching the separate upper link, and also a very high offset upper pulley. clearly derived from the RD-M[9/8/7/6/5]100 rear derailleur design.

it would have been nice to see microspline kind of finishing their transition to “stuff works together again we just needed to change some things because the old way just didn’t work well for this many clicks”

but alas. i’ll be over here with my deadend 11 speed stuff for a while anyway

1 Like

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ROUTE THE CABLE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PINCH BOLT???

CLEARLY NOT A TEMPORAL PARADOX, THATS FOR SURE

though if we have 2x16 drivetrains by next week we’ll know why

That looks like a pretty tight bend coming out of the frame. I’ll bet that shifts like shit.

This. So much this. I’m so over aluminum HG freehub bodies getting gauged by the cassette that am ready for MS on my 2x GRX bike. This bs about 10t cog being the only way to justify MS doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if Shimano is slow walking the 12s road stuff due to licensing of Micro Spline.

The 12s MTB rollout was stalled by limited hub options. That might have been a global supply shortage, though.

2 Likes

I do prefer/appreciate the XDR cassette installation process to HG11. Does microspline still have individual/loose cogs and spacers?

Yeah, even the top-of-the-line XTR has a few loose cogs and spacers on top.

The question is whether routing the cable on the left is CUES pull…

4 Likes

You’ve got to use their special super flexy housing and it’s not too bad. Your normal Jagwire type stuff will definitely make things shift like shit.

Biggest problem when I was at the shop was finding it, any little segment we got our hands on was hoarded. I’m sure it’s better now.

Those stupid barrel adjusters can go away any time now, though.

1 Like

They need to ban that stupid cable exit point from frames. It limits derailleur choice a lot. Needs to be part way down the chainstay.

Needs to be a cable stop brazed to the bottom of the chain stay atmo

5 Likes

I use a citrus base solvent in the ultrasonic and it’s still a PITA to strip a chain.

1 Like

Reading about 12sp GRX is just boiling blood. Here’s all that Shimano needed to do:

Step 1: Make 12sp shakes with same cable pull as 12sp mtb
Step 2: Relabel those 12x142 mtb MS hubs with road group names

What am I missing?

5 Likes

Brand integrity?

1 Like

Enough room in the lever to spool up the right amount of cable.

2 Likes

“it’s so simple, why don’t they just…”

ding ding ding

road shakes fitting comfortably in your hand imposes a lot more geometric constraints on the shift mechanism than trigger shifters that can be as big as you want. All else being equal, a longer cable pull is more reliable. Shimano’d make 'em all the same if they could.

(this is one of the reasons that I am very interested to see what tricks they pull with road stuff to make Cues universally compatible, or if we’re gonna have separate road and MTB CUES ecosystems)

5 Likes